• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Katie- should I be worried.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Katie was running around with a mouthful of hay this morning, she was still at it when Mike went in to see her later- like she was nesting.:shock:

I know her previous owners have an entire male and Katie has had at least one litter, feeling a bit worried she could be pregnant.

What should I be looking for, she's so fat I'm not sure I would be able to feel anything anyway. What should I supply her with, just in case she is and how long is the gestation period. What do I need to feed her.

I've never really dealt with this kind of thing- its usually the other end of the lifespan we have experience in.

Hopefully it'll be a pseudopregnancy.

If not then gestation period is approximately 32 days.

You can usually palpate foetuses from about 14 days.

The Doe tends to nest about 24 hours before kindling and they usually kindle at night. They tend to stop eating about 12 hours before kindling as they know they'll need to eat the placenta/afterbirth.

Feedwise she would need ad lib hay, her usual pellet feed could be increased but not by too much. Dark leafy greens can help increase milk production. The Doe will drink alot more water.

Good luck :)

Sorry not much experience, but I would imagine a good covered area where she's nesting, she needs plenty of veggies and food now and after (if it happens)...babies will feed off her initially so I wouldn't worry too much about that just yet, I remember they detach themselves from babies to draw away attention from them? and will go to feed them once a day, they should have a full belly if she's feeding them...that is all what I know of not actually done any of it but hopes it's a bit useful....good luck if it happens:D

Oh louise! fingers crossed she isn't but if she is i agree with jane's advice, also remember that if you want to look at or handle the babies rub your hands in mums wee/poo before ou do it.

Hopefully it will just be a phantom - I have just had one of my girls spayed and she nested for days at a time on the run up to her op.

Hope Katie is doing well :love:

Hope its a false alarm!

I've caught Jacinta several times building nests and plucking fur - must admit the first time I nearly had a heart attack even though I knew she couldn't possible be preggers:lol:

Back