• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A little bit worried about Lola U/D She's seems to be better!

My rabbit has never really had any medical problems so Im not used to it but over the last few days I've noticed she is eating less, Only eating certain bits of food and some carrots, She hasnt lost any weight visible and She still eating hay, She's been pooing less or atleast I can't see it but I thought that could be because i put her a new hutch and she isn't sure where to go to the toilet. I searched the symptoms and it sounds like GI Statis and that really worries me, She hasnt been lathergic or anything, She still seems her normal self and when I rub her tummy there seems to be no pain but i would like some help from actual rabbit owners who may have experience this, Should I book her in for an appointment or wait and see? Im getting a little bit panicy over it all now.
Thank you.

Last edited:
She definately needs to be seen by a Vet today.
GI stasis is often a sympton rather than an 'illness' in it's own right. Dental issues are a possibility.

It is always essential to seek Veterinary treatment sooner rather than later

Good luck

Agree with Jane I am afraid its is always better to be safer than sorry.. Good luck and let us know how you get on

Thank you, Im at college at the moment but considering going home to get her an emergancy appointment, Better to be safe than sorry.

Just got back from the vet who gave me something to put in her drinking water and gave her a few injections. He told me to give her lots of hay today and not pellets but we should see an improvment by tomorrow. He checked her teeth and had a feel of her tummy and couldnt feel anything, I also got something to use to liquid feed her if everything else doesnt work and then to take her back in a few days for a check up but as far as he can see it isnt anything too serious. I am so relieved, She seems to be much perkier already, She sure gave the vet a peice of her mind ;)

Just be careful with which vets you use, as to whether or not you trust them. I hope she is feeling better and keeps improving.

Do you know what caused it?

He didnt say what he thought it could be but he recommened changing her to some new pellets instead of what I'm giving her now and bringing her back if she doesnt improve within the next day.

Don't make any immediate changes, it all needs to be done gradually, especially on a dodgy stomach.

I hope that she doesn't get any worse.

Make sure she keeps well hydrated as that will prevent the contents of her tummy from drying out and causing more problems. If she will not drink on her own you will need to syringe either water or cooled boiled peppermint/nettle tea.
Also try to get her moving about as much as possible as that will hopefully help things move along.

She's been hopping around the frontroom for about an hour, she seems okay but Still no Poo from her which does worry me a bit because I havent seen any at all today but I've gotten her drinking some water and she's eaten quite a bit of hay, Im hoping this means she's on the mend, Thank you all for your advice and help :)

As far as I can tell this morning/late last night and yes he did. Im hoping that once I put her to bed for the night she'll go to the toilet, I am considering getting up in the night to check on her, Just in case.

As far as I can tell this morning/late last night and yes he did. Im hoping that once I put her to bed for the night she'll go to the toilet, I am considering getting up in the night to check on her, Just in case.

In all honesty I would, whenever Jims is unwell I camp out with him :)
The gut stimulant should help move things along but it is highly possible she may need another one tomorrow, it can sometimes take a few to get the gut working again.
I would not worry TOO much, she has pooped today so that is good, hopefully you will see some more over night or in the morning.

A good thing to tempt her with is herbs- as they are nice and fragrant (Basil, Mint and Parsley) Also if you can get some Dandelions (Free from chemicals)

I'll defenitly get her some herbs tomorrow! and give her another lot of gut stimulant, Im not sure how long it takes to get into her system but she seems much happier in herself but just to make sure i'll get up in the night to check on her and give her some more water in a syringe just in case she doesnt drink from her bottle.

I think you can give the gut stimulant every 12 hours? Not sure how long it actually takes to 'activate' but I have found with Jims it can be any where between 2-4 hours.

She is much better today, I checked on her last night and she seemed fine, I gave her some water in a syringe just to make sure she was getting fluid and I then checked on her this morning and there was fresh poop and she'd eaten most of the hay I'd given her so I gave her some more and a little bit of food but not too much just in case and some more of the gut stimulant for her water and she seems to feeling alot better but I'll be checking on her alot just to make sure nothing changes but I think it's looking good :D

Back