• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thump had a prolapse.U/D He's Home:)**WARNING poor quality picture attached**

HoppingBinky

Mama Doe
I've checked on him tonight after getting in from work and he has a small round red blob hanging out of his anus, I've bathed it but he's very sore and it's been bleeding. Not sure if it's a prolapse or what it is.
Has anyone had any experience of this sort of thing with their buns? He's ok in himself but just worried, I'm taking him to the vet first thing in the morning. :(

101_0355.jpg

Sorry the pictures not great, he doesn't like being on his back.:(

Last edited:
Which hole is that? If its his boy bit then I would suspect he has over humped someone (if he has a girlfriend).

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I would be saying get to the vet tonight- or at least call them for advice.

Sorry, can't help much, sounds like it could be a prolapse- so definately get him into the vets and checked out. I've had it in hens and a steriod injection has helped them, maybe an anti-inflammatory would be a better idea for rabbits.

I rang the emergency vets earlier who has said to keep it moist and go to my vets in the morning. He's hat metacam and is eating and drinking fine. I couldn't get him an appointment because i havn't got enough money at the moment. Two of my other rabbits have been ill in the past week with dentals,snuffles and eye treatment so i can't afford the £175 consultation fee.:(. I'm staying with him all night and the vet says i can call her through the night if i want.
Please don't be mad at me, i love him to bits and hate seeing anything wrong with him.But they insist on payment upfront, my vets lets me have a few days grace.

Cant see what it is but just sending vibes for you hoping its nothing too serious.

Good luck at the vets tomorrow x

If it is a prolapse (can't tell from the picture), I think you can help to reduce it by apply a little icing sugar, weird as it sounds.
Otherwise a little lubricate jelly will help keep it comfortable until the vet sees him xx

Just wanted to update you all on Thumps progress.
He's been to the vets this morning, the vet said that it was a partial prolapse wich is very rare. He's only ever seen one in rabbit while he was training. I took him down to theatre at 9.30am and he was under for a couple of hours.:shock:. He said that there was a possibility that he might have to "open up" his abdoman to pull the bowl back inside and to prepare myself as it was a tricky operation.
I have just spoken to him and he said he's drained the fluid out of the prolapse and has stitched it back in place, his bowel was fine otherwise with no leasions,cycts or tumors (thank god). Hes injected atbiotics locally as awell as oraly and they will monitor him overnight.
My poor boy.:(

Aww poor Thumps :( and ouch what a nasty thing to have. Glad he's pulled through his op and sending him lots of get better soon vibes :love:

I hope the poor lad recovers now.
I would keep a close eye on the quality of his poos and his hydration levels in case there is an underlying cause xx

Crikey Judy!! Youre going through the mill with this fella....
Lots of love and thoughts coming your way...and to your precious boy....xxxxx

Awww poor little guy thats nasty and not going to be nice at all when he needs to poop, I suppose you will have to really watch his eating. Fingers crossed for him and a speedy recovery.

Crikey Judy!! Youre going through the mill with this fella....
Lots of love and thoughts coming your way...and to your precious boy....xxxxx

It's another Thumps Yvette. Mine has everything in working order down there!

How is your Thumps Hoppingbinkie?

Back