• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giving a hot water bottle after a spay?

BooMoo

Warren Scout
Is it ok for me to put a warm hot water bottle in a cover wrapped in a towel in the cage with Masiy as she's outside and been spayed today?

Is it safe to leave her alone with it all night?

My vet advises me to keep my rabbits inside after neutering. Not sure if that's standard though. Think a hot water bottle should be ok if its wrapped in a towel and not boiling hot

No I don't think so she's still abit dosey from the GA. And its in a towel and cover before she could get to the rubber.

I think most vets would say to keep the bun warm indoors after a spey. When my boys were neutered I was told to keep them all inside, and that was in warmer weather too.

My vet advises me to keep my rabbits inside after neutering. Not sure if that's standard though. Think a hot water bottle should be ok if its wrapped in a towel and not boiling hot

The said just to keep them warm, but obv inside would have been better. The hutch is covered over too. and nope its only warm.. not overly hot at all.

yeah, is there any way you can bring her inside? She doesnt need to be kept in a massive cage/pen inside, because you want to discourage her from exercise for a few days.

I dont have any where to keep her unless I dragged her whole hutch inside and its nearly half 10, lol, don't think the neighbours would be happy :?

I dont have any where to keep her unless I dragged her whole hutch inside and its nearly half 10, lol, don't think the neighbours would be happy :?

:lol: probably not. hmmm.... is there part of her run you could make into a little makeshift pen? because they really struggle to keep their body temperature up post-op. Or you could wait until someone smarter than me comes along :lol:

Do you have a travel case she could sleep in? That's what I did with Clover when he had to be kept warm a couple of weeks ago. I piled hay in the travel case and put a water bottle on the front and he slept in my room.

Do you have a travel case she could sleep in? That's what I did with Clover when he had to be kept warm a couple of weeks ago. I piled hay in the travel case and put a water bottle on the front and he slept in my room.

told you someone smarter would be along! ;):lol: you're welcome :) is she eating/drinking/pooping ok post-op?

I thought the travel case would be too small for her.

She is eating but not much only a few dandilion leaves and now a bit of carrot. I had to put her water bottle to her mouth and she drank a little but again it doesn't look like she has drank much. She has not pooed at all :?
I am going to see how she is after work as then it will have been 24hrs since the GA and then i'll ring the vets.

Hope she's feeling better soon. Leave plenty of her fave food around for her while you are out,and hopefully she'll be tempted. x

Can you give her a water bowl as well? Might be easier for her. I'd give the vet a ring this morning.

Had Molly speyed in October she was fine outside plenty of hay and covered the hutch at night.She did drink a lot of water but put it in a bowl to make it easier for her.Within 3 days she was back to normal.Just keep an eye on her and give her plenty of TLC.:love:

I thought the travel case would be too small for her.

She is eating but not much only a few dandilion leaves and now a bit of carrot. I had to put her water bottle to her mouth and she drank a little but again it doesn't look like she has drank much. She has not pooed at all :?
I am going to see how she is after work as then it will have been 24hrs since the GA and then i'll ring the vets.

You might need to syringe feed her, did the vets give you anything to syringe feed her with? Castiel was exactly the same after his neuter, I had to syringe him his food and his water.

I gave her a water bowl before I left for work too. I might ring the vets at 9 then and see if they will she her tonight and ask about the syringe feeding and more pain relief

I gave her a water bowl before I left for work too. I might ring the vets at 9 then and see if they will she her tonight and ask about the syringe feeding and more pain relief

ok good idea :) sounds like you're doing everything right for her well done.

Back