• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male or Female?

Lorra10

New Kit
I was told when i bought my rabbit that it was female. I have had her for 6 months and i am starting to doubt whether she is actually a female. On either side of her genitals she has two hard lumps. They aren't big and I have only notcied them today. There are some very visble veins on them but there is fur covering them. Could they be testicles or do female rabbits have these small lumps?

did you get her when she was a baby? they are very commonly incorrectly sexed especially by pet shops. I would guess they are testicles. ask your vet to have a look, as she/he will now be old enough to be neutered/spayed :)

We were told ours were female - both were male. Either way, speying/neutering is a good idea as it will prevent a female rabbit getting cancer and will stop hormonal behaviour. Our males got very aggressive at around 5 months and started spraying urine all over.

It cost us £38 per male, female would have been £45. Certainly with females about 70% of them get uterine cancers at about 5 years, and just from a cost viewpoint it will be cheaper to pay the speying bill than to pay for all the treatment if they get ill later, nevermind losing a loved pet.

We were told ours were female - both were male. Either way, speying/neutering is a good idea as it will prevent a female rabbit getting cancer and will stop hormonal behaviour. Our males got very aggressive at around 5 months and started spraying urine all over.

It cost us £38 per male, female would have been £45. Certainly with females about 70% of them get uterine cancers at about 5 years, and just from a cost viewpoint it will be cheaper to pay the speying bill than to pay for all the treatment if they get ill later, nevermind losing a loved pet.

i agree no matter what the sex is get him/her done.

I was told when i bought my rabbit that it was female. I have had her for 6 months and i am starting to doubt whether she is actually a female. On either side of her genitals she has two hard lumps. They aren't big and I have only notcied them today. There are some very visble veins on them but there is fur covering them. Could they be testicles or do female rabbits have these small lumps?

sounds very much like a boy bunster to me

Back