PDA

View Full Version : My group fighting - advice please- another Q post 16

kaths101
19-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Ok, came home to find my group fighting - fur everywhere! i knew it was too good to be true!

I have seperated once given them noms to distract them - they were ok but started again... it all calmed down with one sitting in each corner again.. :cry:

Question is IF I have to seperate into 2 pairs (pray I dont) then do I seperate back to sooty and oreo (original pair) and pair the other 2 or since the group has been formed Sooty and Charlie have paired and fallen madly in love and Mittens and Oreo have kind of paired so do I split like that?? (so splitting the original pair up)..

ARRRGHHHHHH could really do without this today!!

RubyTed
19-05-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm so sorry it happened! They really pick their moments, don't they! :roll: :evil:

I'd split them into the pairs they're most comfortable with (the new ones) although I know it'll be strange to do it.

Hope you don't have to split them!

(((hugs))) for your bad day!

louise and Gus
19-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Go back to having them in a small, neutral space and see how that goes? If you have to split I'd go in the pairs they seem happiest, so the new pairs, but don't give up, my four had a major falling out about three weeks in, when back to dog crate in the front room for two weeks and they were ok after that.

Was there anything that could have set them off, more space than usual, another bunny smell?

kaths101
19-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Go back to having them in a small, neutral space and see how that goes? If you have to split I'd go in the pairs they seem happiest, so the new pairs, but don't give up, my four had a major falling out about three weeks in, when back to dog crate in the front room for two weeks and they were ok after that.

Was there anything that could have set them off, more space than usual, another bunny smell?

They are in the same size space as they have always been - about 6 x 4 - I havent given them more space as I dont have any more space until they can go outside..

Im not sure what set them off, definetly no bunny smells - one of their NIC cubes fell off as it was laying in the pen so whether that scared one of them and set them off I dont know!

Its strange theyve had about 3 scuffles now but after each time they will all flop or just eat so im not sure whats going on :?:cry::cry:

nursecroft
19-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Dont panick go back as has been said to a small space and build up again, it takes weeks-months for a group of buns to establish a proper pekking order, you just need to keep an eye on them, its early days, i really hope they settle down again for you x

kaths101
19-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Dont panick go back as has been said to a small space and build up again, it takes weeks-months for a group of buns to establish a proper pekking order, you just need to keep an eye on them, its early days, i really hope they settle down again for you x

So is the chasing and fighting ok? its not blood drawing fighting, ive checked them all - just a lot of fur and they are all eating etc...
It was going so well and they all seemed to love each other...
They will be moving to their shed soon - is this a good idea? to move them so soon or just i section a bit of the shed and increase the size gradually :?
This is such hard work...
Im sat next to them now as Im trying to work out who starts it!!

nursecroft
19-05-2010, 08:44 PM
So is the chasing and fighting ok? its not blood drawing fighting, ive checked them all - just a lot of fur and they are all eating etc...
It was going so well and they all seemed to love each other...
They will be moving to their shed soon - is this a good idea? to move them so soon or just i section a bit of the shed and increase the size gradually :?
This is such hard work...
Im sat next to them now as Im trying to work out who starts it!!

Yes my four still had some chasing right up to about 6months after i bonded them. Could just be your dominent bun reminding everyone who's boss. Saffy used to do it alot. If theres no blood and no serious fighting dont worry too much.

kaths101
19-05-2010, 09:01 PM
actually 2 days ago i put in 2 wooden tunnels that had previously been 1 sooty and oreos and 1 charlies, I cleaned them and washed them with vinegar/water and left them out for about 2 weeks to air - could it be them?? shall I take them out again?

Do you think they might still be able to smell their scents on them? from what I can tell its the original pair that are starting the fighting / chasing and then the others join in :roll:

Thanks for your help

nursecroft
19-05-2010, 09:03 PM
actually 2 days ago i put in 2 wooden tunnels that had previously been 1 sooty and oreos and 1 charlies, I cleaned them and washed them with vinegar/water and left them out for about 2 weeks to air - could it be them?? shall I take them out again?

Do you think they might still be able to smell their scents on them? from what I can tell its the original pair that are starting the fighting / chasing and then the others join in :roll:

Thanks for your help

Its possible, perhaps leave them out and see :)

Hanlou
19-05-2010, 09:04 PM
No real advice but I hope things calm down..... and hugs for your rubbish day. :(

Might be worth taking the wooden tunels out though just in case. Naughty buns!

kaths101
19-05-2010, 09:13 PM
they are being so naughty - I havent had any tea and I dont know what to do - being pregnant and very hormonal doesnt help...

Sooty just wont let Mittens near her - she will box and stamp and chase her away :cry::cry::cry: which then sets them all off..

I havent got anywhere to put them either that neutral and no-where really if i seperate them - I will have to get the NIC cubes down from the loft again

louise and Gus
19-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Another thing I did with mine was rub my hands in their litter then stroke them all so it kind of messes up the smells? Have no idea if it helped or not :lol:

nursecroft
19-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Can you take them for a drive?

tdsouza
19-05-2010, 11:48 PM
have you taken the wooden tunnels out as I had the same problem with my two.

I had put in Hoppers wooden tunnel which had been cleaned with the 50/50 solution and I woke up to fighting, I took the tunnel away and they have been fine ever since

kaths101
20-05-2010, 12:10 AM
yes I have taken them out! Its Mittens who seems to be the problem - there has only been one more little scrap tonight but all night Sooty and Charlie have been in one corner and mittens and oreo in a another...
Now oreo has joined the other 2 and Mittens has been sat on her own the last few hours :cry::cry::cry::cry:

kaths101
20-05-2010, 12:59 AM
I think Sooty and Charlie have owned the litter tray as they have been in it all night and wont let Mittens anywhere near - so do I take that out as well??

I cant take them for a drive as I need my OH to help me lift all 4 in their cage into the car - I will take them tomorrow - im just really worried about them overnight - sofa for me tonight!!

nursecroft
20-05-2010, 07:41 AM
How was the night? Id take the littertray out too.

The Duchess
20-05-2010, 07:48 AM
I agree, I'd remove the litter tray - in fact I normally don't use one any more during bondings. More difficult if you have a dog crate (I use large cage bases for my bonds. But owning a litter tray is an absolute sign in my experience of trying to own territory so if there isn't one, they can't defend it.

And I do think it may have not helped with the tunnels - despite there being no scent, a bunny will have marked it in some way I guess (a bit of gnawing maybe) but in any event, providing tunnels during a bonding can sometimes provide shelter it's true, but it can also provide something else to defend.

I do hope it settles down for you. The larger the group, the longer it takes to sort out the heirachy and the more jostling for position you will see and it could all just be about one bun who is desperate to rise up the ranks.

Good luck.

kaths101
20-05-2010, 08:05 AM
I agree, I'd remove the litter tray - in fact I normally don't use one any more during bondings. More difficult if you have a dog crate (I use large cage bases for my bonds. But owning a litter tray is an absolute sign in my experience of trying to own territory so if there isn't one, they can't defend it.

And I do think it may have not helped with the tunnels - despite there being no scent, a bunny will have marked it in some way I guess (a bit of gnawing maybe) but in any event, providing tunnels during a bonding can sometimes provide shelter it's true, but it can also provide something else to defend.

I do hope it settles down for you. The larger the group, the longer it takes to sort out the heirachy and the more jostling for position you will see and it could all just be about one bun who is desperate to rise up the ranks.

Good luck.

They seem ok, there is a bit of fur but all 4 sat in different corners this morning - I removed the litter tray last night as well - its the base of an indoor cage so all 4 can fit in - they have had it in with them since they came home from bonding 2 weeks ago and this is the first of the problems - are they still establishing a bond then even though when they came home 2 weeks ago they were fine. I was just trying to intorduce things into their pen as they had been together a few weeks and thought they were getting bored :(
Thank you for your help

donnamt
20-05-2010, 08:12 AM
fingers crossed they stay friends now :wave::wave:

kaths101
20-05-2010, 08:16 AM
fingers crossed they stay friends now :wave::wave:

Im not so sure - they dont look the best of friends :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
This is such a worry! shed built, run ready and everything!

nursecroft
20-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Id move their pen somewhere else they havent been before. Perhaps in the kicthen near the washing machine and pop it on a cycle? Then get your otherhalf to help take them for a car ride.

tintin
20-05-2010, 11:52 AM
I would go back a step in the bonding process. Small space, rides in car, hoover on etc. just to force them back to each other for security and comfort.

kaths101
20-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Doesnt seem as bad today but no snuggling like their used to be - all ok with each other its just Sooty and Mittens... they will eat side by side quite happily but as soon as Mittens gets too close to Sooty (when not eating) Sooty will box her!! :cry::cry:

They are all going for a car ride in a bit - Im sure my neighbours think im a raving loony... and to top it all off at 2am this morning while trying to stop the chasing I fell in the Pen and broke all the NIC cubes apart so had to rebuild it! What a crash that made!!

nursecroft
20-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Doesnt seem as bad today but no snuggling like their used to be - all ok with each other its just Sooty and Mittens... they will eat side by side quite happily but as soon as Mittens gets too close to Sooty (when not eating) Sooty will box her!! :cry::cry:

They are all going for a car ride in a bit - Im sure my neighbours think im a raving loony... and to top it all off at 2am this morning while trying to stop the chasing I fell in the Pen and broke all the NIC cubes apart so had to rebuild it! What a crash that made!!

Oh hun you poor thing! Have you reduced their space? Just go back to basics and dont panic crikey i had some ups and downs with my original four, Saffy was a nightmare!! As long as a big fight doesnt break out they will sort themselves out. A squirt of water always helps put the naughty bun a little bit in their place, remember you are top bun ;)

....coming from me after having a complete breakdown yesturday when Joey was being so nasty!

kaths101
20-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Oh hun you poor thing! Have you reduced their space? Just go back to basics and dont panic crikey i had some ups and downs with my original four, Saffy was a nightmare!! As long as a big fight doesnt break out they will sort themselves out. A squirt of water always helps put the naughty bun a little bit in their place, remember you are top bun ;)

....coming from me after having a complete breakdown yesturday when Joey was being so nasty!

I havent reduced their space but they have always been in the same size space right from the start - so would reducing it help??
Im not panicking so much today as they have managed to spend the day together without hurting each other - nowhere near as much fur as yesterday so I think they are starting to tolerate each other again...

It is hard not to panic when your babies are being nasty to each other :cry::cry: just dont want anybun to get hurt!
Do you think moving them to the shed is a good idea? totally neutral to all of them! but somewhere else to sort out territory!?

nursecroft
20-05-2010, 08:39 PM
I havent reduced their space but they have always been in the same size space right from the start - so would reducing it help??
Im not panicking so much today as they have managed to spend the day together without hurting each other - nowhere near as much fur as yesterday so I think they are starting to tolerate each other again...

It is hard not to panic when your babies are being nasty to each other :cry::cry: just dont want anybun to get hurt!
Do you think moving them to the shed is a good idea? totally neutral to all of them! but somewhere else to sort out territory!?

If it were me id reduce their space, it sound like they have set up territories and you have a divided group, id move them aswel into a different room. Are you still taking them for a drive? When are you planning to move them into the shed?