• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My group fighting - advice please- another Q post 16

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Ok, came home to find my group fighting - fur everywhere! i knew it was too good to be true!

I have seperated once given them noms to distract them - they were ok but started again... it all calmed down with one sitting in each corner again.. :cry:

Question is IF I have to seperate into 2 pairs (pray I dont) then do I seperate back to sooty and oreo (original pair) and pair the other 2 or since the group has been formed Sooty and Charlie have paired and fallen madly in love and Mittens and Oreo have kind of paired so do I split like that?? (so splitting the original pair up)..

ARRRGHHHHHH could really do without this today!!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry it happened! They really pick their moments, don't they! :roll: :evil:

I'd split them into the pairs they're most comfortable with (the new ones) although I know it'll be strange to do it.

Hope you don't have to split them!

(((hugs))) for your bad day!

Go back to having them in a small, neutral space and see how that goes? If you have to split I'd go in the pairs they seem happiest, so the new pairs, but don't give up, my four had a major falling out about three weeks in, when back to dog crate in the front room for two weeks and they were ok after that.

Was there anything that could have set them off, more space than usual, another bunny smell?

Last edited:
Go back to having them in a small, neutral space and see how that goes? If you have to split I'd go in the pairs they seem happiest, so the new pairs, but don't give up, my four had a major falling out about three weeks in, when back to dog crate in the front room for two weeks and they were ok after that.

Was there anything that could have set them off, more space than usual, another bunny smell?

They are in the same size space as they have always been - about 6 x 4 - I havent given them more space as I dont have any more space until they can go outside..

Im not sure what set them off, definetly no bunny smells - one of their NIC cubes fell off as it was laying in the pen so whether that scared one of them and set them off I dont know!

Its strange theyve had about 3 scuffles now but after each time they will all flop or just eat so im not sure whats going on :?:cry::cry:

Dont panick go back as has been said to a small space and build up again, it takes weeks-months for a group of buns to establish a proper pekking order, you just need to keep an eye on them, its early days, i really hope they settle down again for you x

Dont panick go back as has been said to a small space and build up again, it takes weeks-months for a group of buns to establish a proper pekking order, you just need to keep an eye on them, its early days, i really hope they settle down again for you x

So is the chasing and fighting ok? its not blood drawing fighting, ive checked them all - just a lot of fur and they are all eating etc...
It was going so well and they all seemed to love each other...
They will be moving to their shed soon - is this a good idea? to move them so soon or just i section a bit of the shed and increase the size gradually :?
This is such hard work...
Im sat next to them now as Im trying to work out who starts it!!

So is the chasing and fighting ok? its not blood drawing fighting, ive checked them all - just a lot of fur and they are all eating etc...
It was going so well and they all seemed to love each other...
They will be moving to their shed soon - is this a good idea? to move them so soon or just i section a bit of the shed and increase the size gradually :?
This is such hard work...
Im sat next to them now as Im trying to work out who starts it!!

Yes my four still had some chasing right up to about 6months after i bonded them. Could just be your dominent bun reminding everyone who's boss. Saffy used to do it alot. If theres no blood and no serious fighting dont worry too much.

actually 2 days ago i put in 2 wooden tunnels that had previously been 1 sooty and oreos and 1 charlies, I cleaned them and washed them with vinegar/water and left them out for about 2 weeks to air - could it be them?? shall I take them out again?

Do you think they might still be able to smell their scents on them? from what I can tell its the original pair that are starting the fighting / chasing and then the others join in :roll:

Thanks for your help

actually 2 days ago i put in 2 wooden tunnels that had previously been 1 sooty and oreos and 1 charlies, I cleaned them and washed them with vinegar/water and left them out for about 2 weeks to air - could it be them?? shall I take them out again?

Do you think they might still be able to smell their scents on them? from what I can tell its the original pair that are starting the fighting / chasing and then the others join in :roll:

Thanks for your help

Its possible, perhaps leave them out and see :)

No real advice but I hope things calm down..... and hugs for your rubbish day. :(

Might be worth taking the wooden tunels out though just in case. Naughty buns!

they are being so naughty - I havent had any tea and I dont know what to do - being pregnant and very hormonal doesnt help...

Sooty just wont let Mittens near her - she will box and stamp and chase her away :cry::cry::cry: which then sets them all off..

I havent got anywhere to put them either that neutral and no-where really if i seperate them - I will have to get the NIC cubes down from the loft again

Another thing I did with mine was rub my hands in their litter then stroke them all so it kind of messes up the smells? Have no idea if it helped or not :lol:

have you taken the wooden tunnels out as I had the same problem with my two.

I had put in Hoppers wooden tunnel which had been cleaned with the 50/50 solution and I woke up to fighting, I took the tunnel away and they have been fine ever since

yes I have taken them out! Its Mittens who seems to be the problem - there has only been one more little scrap tonight but all night Sooty and Charlie have been in one corner and mittens and oreo in a another...
Now oreo has joined the other 2 and Mittens has been sat on her own the last few hours :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I think Sooty and Charlie have owned the litter tray as they have been in it all night and wont let Mittens anywhere near - so do I take that out as well??

I cant take them for a drive as I need my OH to help me lift all 4 in their cage into the car - I will take them tomorrow - im just really worried about them overnight - sofa for me tonight!!

I agree, I'd remove the litter tray - in fact I normally don't use one any more during bondings. More difficult if you have a dog crate (I use large cage bases for my bonds. But owning a litter tray is an absolute sign in my experience of trying to own territory so if there isn't one, they can't defend it.

And I do think it may have not helped with the tunnels - despite there being no scent, a bunny will have marked it in some way I guess (a bit of gnawing maybe) but in any event, providing tunnels during a bonding can sometimes provide shelter it's true, but it can also provide something else to defend.

I do hope it settles down for you. The larger the group, the longer it takes to sort out the heirachy and the more jostling for position you will see and it could all just be about one bun who is desperate to rise up the ranks.

Good luck.

I agree, I'd remove the litter tray - in fact I normally don't use one any more during bondings. More difficult if you have a dog crate (I use large cage bases for my bonds. But owning a litter tray is an absolute sign in my experience of trying to own territory so if there isn't one, they can't defend it.

And I do think it may have not helped with the tunnels - despite there being no scent, a bunny will have marked it in some way I guess (a bit of gnawing maybe) but in any event, providing tunnels during a bonding can sometimes provide shelter it's true, but it can also provide something else to defend.

I do hope it settles down for you. The larger the group, the longer it takes to sort out the heirachy and the more jostling for position you will see and it could all just be about one bun who is desperate to rise up the ranks.

Good luck.

They seem ok, there is a bit of fur but all 4 sat in different corners this morning - I removed the litter tray last night as well - its the base of an indoor cage so all 4 can fit in - they have had it in with them since they came home from bonding 2 weeks ago and this is the first of the problems - are they still establishing a bond then even though when they came home 2 weeks ago they were fine. I was just trying to intorduce things into their pen as they had been together a few weeks and thought they were getting bored :(
Thank you for your help

Back