• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sold an unwell rabbit.

BattleKat

Wise Old Thumper
Cut a long story short, I bought a rabbit yesterday who had a runny nose and crusty eyes so I took him to the vet today and left with a £40 bill. Is there anything I can actually do with regards to getting money off her or reporting her? (I've already reported her to the rspca for cruelty).

I don't want a refund and to give him back, and I don't want an exchange for a healthy rabbit, I'm already very attached to him and I couldn't bear for him to go back to her.

here he is:
2m6og14.jpg

In theory you should be able to, but in practice I doubt it :( Ive been in touch with Environmental Health recently about something similar and they don't care. Try Trading Standards, its probably not worth contacting the breeder direct as it sounds like she doesnt care :( its worth a try but I wouldnt hold out much hope

He's gorgeous! Poor boy

Unfortunately I don't think you'll get anything off the breeder. I think some people on your other thread mentioned the fact that he could be ill, and that it might cost a lot to get him better (hopefully it won't), so at least you went in knowing that might be the case.

I urge you to have the vet check his teeth when he's neutered. (He doesn't look far off 12 weeks.)

The important thing is that you got him out, and have reported them to the RSPCA. You should send them a vet report to go in the case file!

Could i just ask were did you get him from? When i was sold a poorly hamster i wrote and complained to the shop and was sent a £20 gift voucher as well as them paying for the vets bills until she was healthy again. Get a copy of the treatment recieved with the total cost on it from your vets plus a contact number and write to were you got him from and complain.
Let me know how you get on and i'll see what else we can do.xx

He's gorgeous! Poor boy

Unfortunately I don't think you'll get anything off the breeder. I think some people on your other thread mentioned the fact that he could be ill, and that it might cost a lot to get him better (hopefully it won't), so at least you went in knowing that might be the case.

I urge you to have the vet check his teeth when he's neutered. (He doesn't look far off 12 weeks.)

The important thing is that you got him out, and have reported them to the RSPCA. You should send them a vet report to go in the case file!
He went for an overall checkup today and she didn't say anything about his teeth being misaligned so that's a plus.

I was aware he was ill the first time I visited, it's part of the reason he was the one I chose (as dim as that may sound!). I have some money put aside so it's not so much of an issue, I just want her to realise she can't treat her animals the way she is.

Could i just ask were did you get him from? When i was sold a poorly hamster i wrote and complained to the shop and was sent a £20 gift voucher as well as them paying for the vets bills until she was healthy again. Get a copy of the treatment recieved with the total cost on it from your vets plus a contact number and write to were you got him from and complain.
Let me know how you get on and i'll see what else we can do.xx
It was from an appalling independent breeder. I've reported her to the RSPCA for animal cruelty. I know I shouldn't have bought from her but I couldn't bear to leave him there, especially knowing he was unwell.

Do you know of anyone else who's brought off that person? If you do each of you put a complaint in to the RSPCA. Keep on at them and put it in writting so they can't really ignore you, failing that write an anonamous letter to the paper saying that the RSPCA aren't interested. This person needs to be banned from selling the poor bunnys. They'll just carry on doing it.:evil:

He went for an overall checkup today and she didn't say anything about his teeth being misaligned so that's a plus.

I was aware he was ill the first time I visited, it's part of the reason he was the one I chose (as dim as that may sound!). I have some money put aside so it's not so much of an issue, I just want her to realise she can't treat her animals the way she is.

They can only see a certain part of the teeth under a GA, so get him checked then. (Shouldn't cost you anything!:)) Glad his visible teeth are good!!

I'm sorry your new bunny is not well :(

If the breeder is registered with the BRC you can report her to them. They won't be able to 'do' anything really, but they may take her off their list (so if anyone is looking for a 'responsible' BRC breeder in their area they WON'T be able to find her).

You could try asking her for the cash/writing a formal letter/going through small claims but it would probably be difficult to prove your case if you brought him with obvious symptoms and you didn't contact her and give her the opportunity to remedy it before getting the vet bill. Pets are difficult because most people don't want to return them for a refund/replacement like you would with other 'faulty goods'.

Sorry to hear about your bun! very very gorgeous! i love lop ears!

When i got one of my buns (from a pet shop...) she had a stomach abscess that we had to take her to the vets for almost straight away.
I was also very very attatched, but i took her to the vets and they offered to put her down and let me take a new bun home. i was so shocked! who does that?!

That did cost a lot of money though, but they operated and she was fine after, and lived a very happy 8 years with me :)

Man, i miss her :(

Anyway, i thought that story might keep you possitive about your bun making it through! x

I haven't read all of the thread, but the "wound" looks like a healing, sterile abscess after a course of Baytril.

Sorry to hear about your bun! very very gorgeous! i love lop ears!

When i got one of my buns (from a pet shop...) she had a stomach abscess that we had to take her to the vets for almost straight away.
I was also very very attatched, but i took her to the vets and they offered to put her down and let me take a new bun home. i was so shocked! who does that?!

That did cost a lot of money though, but they operated and she was fine after, and lived a very happy 8 years with me :)

Man, i miss her :(

Anyway, i thought that story might keep you possitive about your bun making it through! x

I got a Chinese hamster who was sick within a day of getting her, I rang the pet shop and they told me I had to bring her in. And they asked if I just wanted to swap her for another one :shock::cry: Then told me I could leave her overnight and they'd take her to their vet's in the morning.

In the end though I was refunded for my vets bills at my vets.

Back