• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Advice - cheap eBay hutches?

Hi All,

Has anyone got one of these types of hutches from eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIANT-6FT-Dou...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item4cef712e1a

I read some comments saying the spacing in the mesh is too big so I would probably add some extra mesh on the outside. There are also some comments about the quality of them being poor, but only a few...

Can anyone recommend a hutch of this type for 2 mini lops? We also thought about the 5 foot ones, but this 6 foot one is the same price.

We would also be getting a large wire run which we would attach to the front of the hutch whilst we are at home.

I live in north Leeds and would prefer to be able to see a hutch before I buy, but this seems like a good value option. Can anyone recommend places in Leeds to get hutches from.

Any other advice for a new rabbit owner would be appreciated - thanks.

Sorry I don't know much about hutches as mine are indoors but go for the 6 foot one, especially if it is the same price. Guidelines for housing are 6' x 2' x 2' with additional run.

My experience of that particular wood is that it gets moldy unless you were willing to treat it more heavily. I got a hutch from this company- if it's comfy pets on that logo and it fell to bits within a year, but i'm not sure if this is the same one. It looked pretty enough, but not very good quality that's all. They do seem to be the only ones on ebay doing 6ftx2ft hutches though. There isn't much choice when it comes to 6ft x 2ft hutches on ebay and the width of some are not good at all.

I have the exact same hutch for my lops and they love it, and so do I! I have only been using it since January, but have no problems with it. :D However would yours be outside? I am not sure if it would weather outside, mine is in a shed and fine, although I do still have the cover on it as my shed leaks :lol:

Here's mine...obviously its the larger one, the smaller single storey is the piggy hutch.
4452156634_14733d3b70.jpg

4452175150_7fa835a22c.jpg

I found her to be a great seller, very fast at delivering, kept in contact and seemed friendly :)

Last edited:
I personally am unhappy with the treatment I have received from this seller. I don't want to say too much on here as I don't want to badmouth them.

Last edited:
Hi...I highly recommend this seller and their products by Cumfy Pets. I have a single hutch for Harley and think that it is very well made and with quality materials. I live local to the seller so I collect the items that I order, I have meet Susan and Kelly who work there and they are fantastic and have a good refund service should there be a problem.

My only concern with the 6ft double hutch is that the floor space up the top is quite narrow, I'm sure it' be ok for a mini lop but anything bigger and their butts would overhang the ramp opening :lol:...though Jura and Islay are ok in Happy Saz's one and they're medium buns?

Also there is a lil gap all around the base edge so wood shavings get stuck a pain to get out when its soggy wood shavings), but I just covered the floor with lino to cover the gap :)

I can't speak about this particular seller but this hutch looks like it's one of these made from Chinese Fir, and if it is, then it's very lightweight and not durable at all. I have had one donated and it got smashed up to go to the tip. It didn't take much.

I really don't like hutches made of this material as it's not going to last - it doesn't resist the elements very well at all, and is very easily chewed.

I couldn't see the type of wood on the listing, but if it is, I'd steer well clear. They are made in China for the mass market and are really cheap to buy as a wholesaler.

as I've ETA my previous post... I personally was not happy with this seller. This is based solely on my own personal experience with them.

DO you live near Home and Bargain? If so, they have similar hutches for £49.99. I think that they are the same manufacturer, but perhaps 5 foot?

Thanks for all the comments everyone. The hutch looks good in the photos posted. I will post my opinion of the quality when I have built it.

Is it worth putting more preservative (on the outside of the hutch at least) to make it last a bit longer?

Can anyone recommend a rabbit friendly brand?

The seller I have dealt with (mayhew_200) has been very good.
He got back to me on all my questions so I bought it on wednesday night and he confirmed dispatch yesterday and sent me an additional message to say I should get it today. Will post pics when it's built.

I have a similiar one for my guineapigs and being soft wood they are doing a good job of eating it. It definately wont last the rest of the year.

Whilst they are 6 foot long they are not as deep as others, having a set of stairs does reduce the space that they have on the upper floor by quite a lot.

Personally I think there are better hutches available, whilst they may cost a bit more they will cost you less in the long run as they wont need to be replaced so quickly.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. The hutch looks good in the photos posted. I will post my opinion of the quality when I have built it.

Is it worth putting more preservative (on the outside of the hutch at least) to make it last a bit longer?

Can anyone recommend a rabbit friendly brand?

The seller I have dealt with (mayhew_200) has been very good.
He got back to me on all my questions so I bought it on wednesday night and he confirmed dispatch yesterday and sent me an additional message to say I should get it today. Will post pics when it's built.

Wicks, cuprinol all do rabbit friendly preservatives. Just check on the labels

It's the type of wood that makes this an indoor hutch, because after a year outdoors it has fallen to pieces- it's good quality if you are planning on keeping it inside a shed- i'm sure if you treated it, it would last longer too. It's just it doesn't withstand the winter thats all. For the summer, the hutch is fine :)

I have the exact same hutch for my lops and they love it, and so do I! I have only been using it since January, but have no problems with it. :D However would yours be outside? I am not sure if it would weather outside, mine is in a shed and fine, although I do still have the cover on it as my shed leaks :lol:

Here's mine...obviously its the larger one, the smaller single storey is the piggy hutch.
4452156634_14733d3b70.jpg

4452175150_7fa835a22c.jpg

I found her to be a great seller, very fast at delivering, kept in contact and seemed friendly :)

:wave:Hi I am thinking of buying that and it would be outside, ii was just wondering where you got the cover:D

I have a run from this seller, and while I found the service good and the size just what I needed. I have to say I have found the quality of the wood not durable at all. It's far too soft and splits very easily, even with me adding extra preservative soon after getting it. I woudn't get anything made from this type of wood again, especially if using it outside. :)

I've got the hutch which came on monday. It was supposed to come on friday but the TNT driver said that the driver on friday couldn't find my address.

I would recommend the seller based on my experience. (although didn't get back to me until monday after I emailed him on friday night saying the hutch hadn't arrived.

The hutch was easy to assemble - did it on my own in about an hour. It feels better quality than the pets at home ones we've seen.

I've treated it with the pets at home strike back wood preserver and will probably treat it again with the cuprinol shades paint. Is it a good idea to do both inside and out?

I want to screw a couple of planks to the doors to stop the wood shavings falling out through the wire. I can get off cuts from the diy shop, but is there a particular type of wood I should use that is readily available?

I read that pine is not good for rabbits and I'm worried they might chew it - what type of wood can I use safely?

Can anyone offer any ideas?

Back