• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny Mummy in need of advice please

bubz_79

Warren Scout
I have introduced myself and my bunnies, Razzle and Dazzle but i now need some advice please. I hope you don't mind but i will list my questions for all you wise Bunny parents/slaves

Where do you buy yor straw and hay from?
What litter would you recommend?
What sort of hutch will they need after they have been neutered for the 6 week after care? as i will have my buck done soon and need to try and get prepared.
When should i introduced fresh veg and fruit to them? So far they have only had hay and straw and medicated pellets.

They are all I have for starters but I am sure there will be more to come hope you all don't mind.

Last edited:

We don't use straw, I know some poeple do for added insulation but ours are indoor so don't need that. We buy ours from a local place that deals with horse stables so we get it in bulk and a lot cheaper.

Megazorb, very absorbent. Again comes in a large bag but a bag lasts us about 6 weeks.

What sort of hutch will they need after they have been neutered? as i will have my buck done soon and need to try and get prepared.

Bigger the better. Guidelines are 6 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot with additional run area. Many here find it easier to get a shed or playhouse for outdoors or let their bunnies free-range and bunnyproof if indoors.

When should i introduced fresh veg and fruit to them? So far they have only had hay and straw and medicated pellets.

Depends on age but once they are about 6 months introduce new things one at a time and check for any tummy reaction, bloating (manifests as not wanting to eat), different poos (cecals are squidgier poo and should be eaten direct from bum but if the bacteria in the gut changes then they may leave them and you'll find them lying around - you'll know what they are, they stink!). I have a chart on the computer of what they like and what doesn't upset their tums.

Hope that helps, some more experienced people may also be able to give advice!

* Local farmer, bulk buy for the pony. Any feed merchants or farms are a good idea, you cna buy small bales of good quality hay.

* I use megazorb

What sort of hutch will they need after they have been neutered? as i will have my buck done soon and need to try and get prepared.

* Mine have two wendy houses with attached run in the middle, find this gives them plenty of room, cosy, warm and secretive. You can never have enough room. Cost the same as a 5ft two teir hutch and so much more room.

* Mine all have veg from when they were 12weeks. Tiny amounts at first as there stomache are very delicate. Mine got it for a small treat once a weel and as they got older introduced it more regually and bigger quantities.

thanks so far :)

I have changed the question about the hutch size as i meant for the 6 week after care. Once both sorted they will be in a 200 + sq foot enclosure with either a 6x4 or 7x5 (money depending) shed inside.

Re. litter: I use litter bowls (washing up bowls) for my buns with newspaper in the bottom and hay on top. They tend to sleep in these too but those that don't just have a old towel in their sleeping area. No hay elsewhere though or it confuses them! Buns are generally very easy to litter train once they've been neutered and it makes life so much easier for us slaves :D You can also buy special corner shaped litter trays for buns which are really good and may take up less space, our house bun has one of those. You can buy them online from around £3.50.

Thanks Fluffers. I have one of the corner things already for them and a mini kitten one in the hutch they are in at the mo. My 2 are mini rexs so i have straw in the whole hutch for them at the mo to try and prevent sore hocks, as i had read it was a good thing to do.

Ahh yes you're right, sore hocks are thing to watch in Rex's. Well done you for getting clued up ;) Sounds like your buns are going to be very well looked after :D

* Get all mine from Hay Experts (online)
* Megazorb
What sort of hutch will they need after they have been neutered for the 6 week after care? as i will have my buck done soon and need to try and get prepared.
*after Pye was done I had him confined to his house which was 6x2x2 but I can't remember how long for, think it was a couple of days and then he was back to tearing round the house!
* I sterted introducing veg pretty early, small bits left it for a day to see if any adverse reaction and then increased if everything ok. They both get lots of spring greens and love herbs and they also get the odd half a slice of carrot or apple bits as a treat!

Back