• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do shavings make rabbit's wee dark orange / red??

briony_y

Young Bun
I have a rabbit tink and my sister has her sister twinkle.

Now my sister is away so I am letting her rabbit out for a run, feeding and cleaning her out. she only seems to wee in her litter tray which is changed daily however she has shavings in the litter tray and when I cleaned her out the last couple of days the heavily soiled areas looked dark orange almost red.

My rabbit is on megazorb and on that her wee looks yellow but megazorb is grey in colour whereas shavings are yellow.

My question is, is this normal and is it the shavings making the wee look that colour or could there be a problem? My sister has only had the rabbit about 2 weeks and I have had mine 3 so we are relatively new to this. She did as me whether orange wee was normal but until I saw it I didn't realise how dark it was!

I have forgotten how old they are it is either 11 or 12 weeks on thursday!

Oh also I noticed when I cleaned out her hutch tonight, when you spray the animal disinfectant stuff onto the wood of the hutch she has, the stain kinda comes off on the kitchen towel almost a reddish colour and her rabbit has eaten the hutch to death could this be causing the wee to be dark & is it safe?? it was painted when she got it and was from a "normal" national shop

Not sure about the spray but i'd lay off it untill someone who knows better than me can tell you about that. My bunnies quite often have dark wee that looks orange its usually after eating carrots. Have yours had carrots recently?

I often wonder if the wee has a reaction with shavings as my buns wee always looks orangy/red when they wee in their litter tray. If they do it on the paving slabs in their run it looks more yellow. Carrots are meant to cause orangy/red wee I think.

Helen xx

Not sure about the spray but i'd lay off it untill someone who knows better than me can tell you about that. My bunnies quite often have dark wee that looks orange its usually after eating carrots. Have yours had carrots recently?

I'm not sure about the spray but i'd lay off it untill someone on here can tell you better. My bunnies wee look orange after eating lots of carrots. Have you given your rabbits lots of carrots?

SORRY :oops: Laptop is rubbish

Last edited:
it was the spray that was making the paint come off the hutch, not the spray that was red. So that was why I was thinking it was either just the way wee looks on shavings or it was that she has eaten too much of her hutch and the dye was coming out in her wee.

Maybe it is normal I have my rabbit on megazorb so dunno what colour it would look on shavings? maybe tomorrow when I got round I'll bring some home and do my rabbit tink's litter tray in shavings and see what happens! :D

If she has been running round on the grass, is it possible that she could of eaten some dandelions ? my rabbit has red wee when she`s been munching on them. :wave:

Back