• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A response from Argos re: hutch size!

Blackberry & Co

Wise Old Thumper
Dear Miss ******

Thank you for your email regarding the size of our rabbit hutches.

I hope you will be re-assured to know that our policy on the general welfare of animals is to ?ensure that our products are produced to appropriate welfare standards and will not cause injury to animals through normal or foreseeable misuse.?

We?ve discussed your concerns with the RSPCA and they have advised that they have no current recommendation for the size of a hutch for a single rabbit - although they do have a recommendation for the size of a hutch for two medium sized rabbits.

The RSPCA has recommended that we make it clear in our marketing of hutches that they should be used in conjunction with a ?run?. Consequently, we will be amending our catalogue and our website to that effect. We will also offer a discount on a run if purchased in conjunction with a rabbit hutch.

If the RSPCA recommendations change in the future, you can be assured that we will follow their guidance.

Many thanks for bringing this matter to our attention.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at order.enquiries@argos.co.uk or call us on 0845 640 2020.

Regards,

Ellis Covington
Argos Direct E-Commerce Customer Service Team.

It's a start!!!!

We?ve discussed your concerns with the RSPCA and they have advised that they have no current recommendation for the size of a hutch for a single rabbit

Because the RSPCA do not encourage keeping rabbits as singles so why would they have a recommended size for something they don't recommend? Aaaargh!

Well done for your letter though and as you say, it's a start. They are a major cut price retailer so if they are now deciding to do something hopefully others will follow.

Well done in getting a response. Thats a stupid response from the RSPCA. Did they phone a branch, or is this what the head office are saying is their policy?

Well done in getting a response. Thats a stupid response from the RSPCA. Did they phone a branch, or is this what the head office are saying is their policy?

I'm assuming it is a head office policy.

We still need more people to write to Argos, tho, to try and stop them stocking the very small hutches - anyone else care to email them? Just go to their website and look for the customer services page :wave:

Dear Miss ******

I hope you will be re-assured to know that our policy on the general welfare of animals is to ?ensure that our products are produced to appropriate welfare standards and will not cause injury to animals through normal or foreseeable misuse.?

We?ve discussed your concerns with the RSPCA and they have advised that they have no current recommendation for the size of a hutch for a single rabbit - although they do have a recommendation for the size of a hutch for two medium sized rabbits.

The RSPCA has recommended that we make it clear in our marketing of hutches that they should be used in conjunction with a ?run?. Consequently, we will be amending our catalogue and our website to that effect. We will also offer a discount on a run if purchased in conjunction with a rabbit hutch.

If the RSPCA recommendations change in the future, you can be assured that we will follow their guidance.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at order.enquiries@argos.co.uk or call us on 0845 640 2020.

Regards,

Ellis Covington

It's a start!!!!

How interesting.

I wonder if the following RSPCA document was discussed?

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urlblob&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=RSPCABlob&blobwhere=1099596629449&ssbinary=true&Content-Type=application/pdf

The RSPCA document states, in the section entitled "Why are Rabbits Vulnerable in Captivity?" that "Rabbits are highly social animals and suffer if they are left on their own".

This is a document from the RSPCA Head Office. Was this not discussed in Argos's conversation with them?

The fact that there is no recommended hutch size in this document for a single rabbit is hardly relevant - there is a recommendatiion about rabbits suffering if they are on their own.

The RSPCA branches are somewhat more explicit about hutch sizes:

http://www.rspca-westhatch.co.uk/Rabbits.htm

The fact that Argos have stated that, "If the RSPCA recommendations change in the future, you can be assured that we will follow their guidance", could be an opprtunity for change. It implies that Argos will change their marketing to reflect the welfare standards of an external organisation.

The RWA/F website states:

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund suggest the following to properly care for your pet rabbits: Environment Hutches should be a minimum of 6ft x 2ft x 2ft, and preferably with an attached run to allow the rabbits to exercise at will. The run should be 6ft x 4ft x 4ft as a minimum. Hutch size and runs can never be too big, so don't skimp".

Perhaps the RSPCA could be encouraged to make its guidelines re hutch sizes consistent with the RWA? Or perhaps Argos could be encouraged to adopt the RWA standards for rabbit hutches?

The fact that they're willing to listen and open to change is a big positive step in the right direction :love:

Blackberry & Co :wave: - are you going to write back to Argos and follow it up further? I already emailed them so daresay will get the same response soon, but you're a really good letter writer (grovel grovel) so if you are writing back then could you put it on here so we can all pinch it please?! :lol:

Has Helen (Duchess) seen this response. Im not really comfortable with the RSPCA's response to this. As the RWA had contacted Argos about this, do you think you should end Argos's response onto the RWA???

Dear Miss ******

I hope you will be re-assured to know that our policy on the general welfare of animals is to ensure that our products are produced to appropriate welfare standards and will not cause injury to animals through normal or foreseeable misuse.

Regards,

Ellis Covington

It's a start!!!!

I've had a look at this and prepared a draft response for people to comment on and/or use as they wish.

Dear Mr Covington,

Thank you for your email regarding my comments on the sizes of rabbit hutches sold by Argos and for your offer of further assistance. I have now had the opportunity to consider your response in detail.

My further comments are set out in the following sections. For convenience, I have made these against each of the paragraphs in your email (reproduced in red) and, where appropriate, provided links to relevant websites in support of the comments and for your further perusal.

I hope you will be re-assured to know that our policy on the general welfare of animals is to ensure that our products are produced to appropriate welfare standards and will not cause injury to animals through normal or foreseeable misuse.

I note Argos's commitment to ensure that products are produced to 'appropriate' welfare standards and will not cause 'injury to animals'.

We've discussed your concerns with the RSPCA and they have advised that they have no current recommendation for the size of a hutch for a single rabbit - although they do have a recommendation for the size of a hutch for two medium sized rabbits.

I assume that your discussions with the RSPCA were conducted with their Head Office. It is not surprising that the RSPCA does not have a recommendation in respect of hutches for single rabbits, since the RSPCA explicitly recommends that rabbits be kept as pairs.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urlblob&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=RSPCABlob&blobwhere=1099596629449&ssbinary=true&Content-Type=application/pdf

This RSPCA document states, in the section entitled "Needs: grouping, diet, accommodation and environment: Rabbits need to be kept in groups. Keepers should make sure they can give a home to two rabbits....". The RSPCA's recommendations regarding hutch sizes thus relate to their previous recommendations on keeping rabbits as a bonded pair. The fact that no specific recommendation is made regarding hutches for single rabbits should not be construed as a recommendation that 'any' size or 'half the size recommended for two rabbits' is therefore acceptable.

The RSPCA branches are, perhaps, more familiar with the 'front-line' aspects of rabbit keeping. They set out 'minimum' hutch sizes. The following is a typical example:

http://www.rspca-westhatch.co.uk/Rabbits.htm

The RSPCA has recommended that we make it clear in our marketing of hutches that they should be used in conjunction with a run. Consequently, we will be amending our catalogue and our website to that effect. We will also offer a discount on a run if purchased in conjunction with a rabbit hutch.

The recommendation in respect of a run is a welcome amendment to the catalogue/website.

In accordance with Argos's commitment, "to ensure that our products are produced to appropriate welfare standards", perhaps Argos could consider the standards in respect of hutches and runs set out by the Rabbit Welfare Association (RWA).

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/animal_welfare_bill_lft.pdf

The RSPCA already has recommendations in respect of rabbit hutches, runs and their dimensions. They also do not recommend keeping single rabbits. I find it surprising that several of these points appear to have been omitted from Argos's consideration of this matter.

I would urge Argos to re-consider this matter and to remove from its catalogue any hutches for rabbits that do not comply with the RSPCA and RWA recommendations. Links to the relevant information would also ensure that customers are fully informed about any intended purchases.

It must be appreciated that domestic pet rabbits have no choice in the accommodation in which they have to live. They are totally dependent upon their human carers. They often have to 'suffer in silence' in unsuitable accommodation while they live out miserable lives. The availability of suitable products and informed customers could change this for the better.

I look forward to your early and positive reply.

Great reply - saves me a lot of work!

yes, I will reply to their response, probably in a letter rather than email this time.

Hopefully lots of other RU members will also write :wave:

Thats a better response than any i have had, at least argos has looked into it and are willing to change their catalogue.

Back