• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which would you consider more important....?

which is more important?

• A vet offering staffed night care

Votes: 75 92.6%
  • A vet offering Post mortems

Votes: 6 7.4%

• Total voters

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
....If you were us :?

A vet that offers 24 hour staffed care but will not do post mortems OR

A vet that does post mortems but has a surgery that is un staffed for 12 hours at night ?

I know for most people staffed night care is more important, but if you consider that we rarely have a bunny in at night that needs round the clock care and we have 2 or 3 PM's done every month it doesn't become such an easy decision :?

I put staff overnight. When Hayden was ill I would rather have had overnight care than the offer of a PM which I would have refused because I wouldn't want her to have one, even if she hadn't had surgery to know what was wrong.
When I went to FHB one of my first q's was, is someone in overnight to keep a close eye on her.

This is really hard but I also voted overnight. If Pie ever died suddonly (god forbid) I would really want answers as to why. Otherwise I think the guilt would drive me mad.
But when she had GI Stasis at 9:30 pm on january 2nd (which was a saturday night too!) I dont think she wouldve lasted til the morning so was very lucky in that we had vets open 24/7.

Well I did say staffed night care, but can see what you mean, that's a toughie :?

For us PM's are invaluable. Some of our rabbits have very unusual problems and we have learnt so much from the PM's we have had done over the past couple of years so have our vets. One thing we have learnt from them is that diagnostic tests are not always that acurate :? So through PM's we have been able to help a lot more bunnies that come in with quicker and more accurate care :)

With the number of rabbits we loose we need answers to be able to sleep at night :(

But as most of you will agree, staffed nights are also very useful :?

For me it would definitely been staffing over night at the vets,which is why i voted this. However for you I can understand that post mortems would be more important as you sadly have to have more carried out than having a bunnie stay.. so maybe going to a vets that carries out post mortems would be more important and the better option and if you do need a bunnie staying over night then you could cross that bridge when you come to it..
though as said above could you not get the post mortem done at a different surgery?

This is really hard but I also voted overnight. If Pie ever died suddonly (god forbid) I would really want answers as to why. Otherwise I think the guilt would drive me mad.
But when she had GI Stasis at 9:30 pm on january 2nd (which was a saturday night too!) I dont think she wouldve lasted til the morning so was very lucky in that we had vets open 24/7.

We still have access to emergency vets which would be staffed over night if they were admitted out of hours. So the unstaffed bit only comes into play if we have had a bun in for an op during the day at our usual vet and they aren't ready to come home when they close because for example the vet wants to monitor poos over night

I think both are very important, i think post mortems in a multiple bunny household is important because obviously you want to know if something that has affected one bunny could affect another.

That said...i would have to say that the best care for bunnies that have not passed to the bridge would be the most important factor. Many bunnies that come to you need lots of care - thats why you take them, so in many situations you know what their health issues are.

I would say priority would have to lie with the bunnies that are needing treatment over bunnies that you have sadly lost.

hope that came out right.
xxxxx

i'd go for staffed overnight. although you often dont need it, like everyone else really, when you do you are glad of it. I think its more important (and less stress) that very sick bunnies get the best possible care, than doing post mortems on animals that sadly have passed away. As you know PMs often dont give us any meaningful answers and the clinical signs, diagnostics and surgical exploration often tell us more, while the animal is alive.

I think both are very important, i think post mortems in a multiple bunny household is important because obviously you want to know if something that has affected one bunny could affect another.

That said...i would have to say that the best care for bunnies that have not passed to the bridge would be the most important factor. Many bunnies that come to you need lots of care - thats why you take them, so in many situations you know what their health issues are.

I would say priority would have to lie with the bunnies that are needing treatment over bunnies that you have sadly lost.

hope that came out right.
xxxxx

That came out fine :wave:

I agree that the living have to come before the dead, but it is an unfortunate fact that the dead can help the future living.

In all honesty we usually don't know what is wrong with our bunnies when they arrive, that is why our vet bills are so high. we spend a fortune on blood tests and x-rays, but it is amazing the number of times we have thought an x-ray has shown one thing and then when they have been opened up it has been a completely different problem :?

I would say overnight care
If you have learnt things that have helped new rabbits from pms then great,
but as we've found pms to be so inconclusive and when they have shown something it wouldn't help any others as it's been something we've considered anyway..I would say save the money from having pms done to spend elsewhere:?

Money wouldn't be an issue as the vet that doesn't offer Pm's is so expensive to pts and cremate it works out the same as my currents vets price for pts , cremation and PM :)

I knew everyone would put overnight care :), but I honestly don't think I could give up having PM's done. It would drive me over the edge never knowing. The reponsibility of sending sick rabbits for ops that then die under GA or making the decision to pts kills me everytime and if I didn't have some sort of evidence that I was doing the right thing each time I don;t think I could carry on with doing it :?

Why won't the other vet do pms? Also, is their overnight staffing by their own vets on a rota also seeing emergencies, or is it a separate company like vets now doing the overnight stuff at their premises?

Why won't the other vet do pms? Also, is their overnight staffing by their own vets on a rota also seeing emergencies, or is it a separate company like vets now doing the overnight stuff at their premises?

They said they don't do them as they are so inconclusive and with rabbits its normally their guts :roll: Although in fairness that was the receptionist and all the vet staff have been fantastic.

At night it would be vets now on the same premises and the same emergency vets that we use out of hours now so it would only make a difference to our rabbits care if they were kept after a routine op at our own vets where there is no staffing. If a bunny goes to our vets during the day and is so poorly that they need round the clock care at night such as bloat then there is an ambulance service to take them to vets now but obviously there would be stress involved in moving them :?

I would say overnight care
If you have learnt things that have helped new rabbits from pms then great,
but as we've found pms to be so inconclusive and when they have shown something it wouldn't help any others as it's been something we've considered anyway..I would say save the money from having pms done to spend elsewhere:?

Agree, it would help save your vet bills:D

Agree, it would help save your vet bills:D

As I have posted above changing to the vets that doesn't do PM's will not save us any money as there costs are much higher than my current vets :)

So this decision is based purely on what is more important and money doesn't come into it :)

Are there any other important issus aside the pm/overnight staffing? How easy is it to get an appointment at the other vets? How bunny savvy do they seem to be? What would be the practical differences on a day-to-day level aside from post mortems and overnight staffing?

Back