• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More space!

Joh619

Alpha Buck
I'm currently trying my very best to persuade OH that the bunnies need more space! They have a 6x2 hutch with a 6x4 run underneath which is fine, but not massive. Especially as they spent all winter in the conservatory which is maybe 10x15 or something. Also, I don't think they like us leaning into their hutch/run as I haven't managed to get as close to them since they've gone back outside.

I actually managed to get him to help me measure the space at the top of the garden which is currently just piles of chopped up bit of trees and weeds. Seems there is about 12x9 space, although that's the maximum. So I was thinking of maybe getting something 9x6 or 9x9 for the corner.

So, firstly what would people think is better: An aviary which I could put their current hutch in (get rid of the run and put some legs on), a kennel with run, or a shed/playhouse/run combo? I'm kinda leaning towards aviary at the moment.

Also, do people with aviarys leave the buns out in them overnight? I feel bad putting them back in the hutch at night, but I worry about them being in the run. Although that's silly really, as it's the same stuff as the front of the hutch. I've no idea if there are foxes in the area, although it is quite rural so I imagine there may be. There are cats though, but they don't seem to bother the buns too much. The run is on paving slabs, although that's more to stop Nora digging out ;)

And finally, has anyone bought a nice aviary that's good quality and value for money? There's loads of sites I've found, but with the prices differing so much I've no idea what's best to go for. Wood sizes, mesh sizes and weights :? I'd rather get one from somewhere that's been reccomended to me so I know its going to be OK.

Sorry to be a pain asking a million questions :oops:

I used http://www.aviaries4u.co.uk

I've the chicken aviary but they do quite a range of different ones. They are a little more expensive but really well made and have extra wood at the bottom to keep the mess in :lol:

I would definitely go for something a full 6' in height rather than playhouse. Aviaries are cheaper than solid sides so you get more space for your cash. You could get quite creative with the contents too with that much space. Eg pave it to stop digging and then add a big deep box for digging, tunnels, extra boxes etc. so their hutch wouldn't be the only shelter. You could sink a mesh/brick lined digging pit before you paved/built it if you were really creative :D

Tam

Could you not leave them in the conservatory all year round? Louie lives in ours, freerange, so always has plenty of room :D

I have an aviary - and it's great to be able to sit in there with them when it rains! :D

They have their hutches in the aviary, and I used to put them in the hutches at night, but I now have brushwood around 3 sides of the aviary, and covers to put on the front at night, plus a padlock, so I now feel happier about leaving the hutches open for them to come and go as they please. The aviary is on concrete so they can't dig out and foxes can't dig in. And I stand the dustbin in front of the door at nigh too! :lol:

Thanks for the links - will be something nice to look through at work tomorrow lol.

I would leave them in the conservatory, but 1, I'm worried about it getting too hot. 2, They seem to much prefer being back outside - there's some massive binkies that go on when I put them in their run on a morning. 3, everytime my OH's mum came round she said "oooo so when are the bunnies going back outside?" as if she didn't like them being inside :roll:

Back