• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can rabbit eye infections be caught through the grass?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Okay i put some bunnys out that have poorly eyes to grass, and a bunny from my other group that hadn't had eye problems, now has white discharge. Can infection be picked up from the grass where other bunnys have been?

I guess it's possible in theory.

I think Pasteurella can survive in moist conditions outside of the animal for a few days..so perhaps could be spread from one rabbit to another if they graze the same grass? Although TBH I've never heard of it happening.

In theory yes but it'd be more likely to happen with direct contact. Or if the person treating the infected Rabbit's eyes does not wash their hands before handling other Rabbits.

Thanks,

I don't let adonia out who has pasturella as it survives two weeks on water to my knowledge.

Also conjuntivitis, i'm not sure how long this survives outside the eye on the grass or surfaces etc.

I always wear latex gloves so i keep any infection spread to a min. That's why i wondered if it can be caught through the grass.

Thanks,

I don't let adonia out who has pasturella as it survives two weeks on water to my knowledge.

Also conjuntivitis, i'm not sure how long this survives outside the eye on the grass or surfaces etc.

I always wear latex gloves so i keep any infection spread to a min. That's why i wondered if it can be caught through the grass.

Pasteurella can cause conjunctivitis

I hope not, i think i've pretty much exposed them all to it then, by running them on the same grass :( How much is it for the pasturella tests? I can tell my bunny indoors has pasturella as she has sneezing and breathing problems although never any eye issues.

My other bunnys have been all cleared on the breathing front regards to illness. The vet said that there breathing is fine.

Would it not have to include more symptoms then just runny eyes?
Thanks, abit worried now. I'm taking them in turn for there mixi jabs in the coming weeks so i'll get a health check done on them all.

Couldn't fit any more in the taxi today on my own with the 3 cats i had vaccinated.

What are the alternatives to constant antibiotics for the eyes? I'm really worried they have been on them way too long?

Snuffles isn't necessarily caused by pasteurella...but yes, as Jane said, pasteurella can affect any part of the body, but most commonly affects nose, eyes and/or ears.

Back