• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Back yard, what should I do?

jenzel5

Mama Doe
Today I am cleaning my back yard. The floor needs sweeping and rinsing etc. I was hoping to get it all looking pretty and adding things for Dudley to play with. There are some really big plant pots there already. I was wanting to put grass in these but don't think that would work. Any suggestions as what I could put outside which is safe for bunnies, plants etc? Im tempted to put a small dog kennel out for Dudley so he can hide and jump on it too. He is never outside unsupervised but sometimes if he hears a bird or something his ears stand up so atleast he could run in there if he felt unsafe.

For the pots - you could try grass or get some of the Timothy grass seeds (Hayexperts?) to grow tasty grass/hay for him to snack on.
We've found that old litter trays are quite good for keeping grass in for the bunnies to snack on.

What veggies/herbs does Dudley enjoy? You could try growing some of those if you can keep him off the seedlings long enough to let them get established.

A small kennel/hut will probably appeal to him - also does he like tunnels/tubes or balls?

:DHmmm, I think it depends whether or not you want to plant the pots to look nice! I've got a huge plant pot that was filled with herbs until my buns got at it and ate everything in sight, and dug up the roots!:shock: Though I guess you could still plant the herbs and get some of that plastic garden netting to stop Dudley getting at them, then feed him the herbs as a treat.

My bunnies free range on our patio, as its gated off from the rest of the garden which isn't secure. We bought some grow-bag trays from the garden centre (about 1-2 inches deep), put soil in and lay turf on top so they still have grass to munch. Its lasted a month now, we water it every day and will just replace the turf when the bunnies have eaten all the grass. The buns love it and its cheap to do.

Have fun, its a lovely day to be outside!:D

Really I want it to be heaven for Dudley to play. He has been through so much so want to make it a great place for him. Dudley doesn't really eat herbs. We tried him with lots but he doesn't touch them. He would eat grass though. He has got tunnels so will put them out. Will have to wait till next month until I can get him a kennel. At the moment I can put the cardboard box that the hay experts order came in outside, he loves it!
I think I will take a trip to Focus and have a look.

Really I want it to be heaven for Dudley to play. He has been through so much so want to make it a great place for him. Dudley doesn't really eat herbs. We tried him with lots but he doesn't touch them. He would eat grass though. He has got tunnels so will put them out. Will have to wait till next month until I can get him a kennel. At the moment I can put the cardboard box that the hay experts order came in outside, he loves it!
I think I will take a trip to Focus and have a look.

That's lovely, lucky Dudley! A digging box or little sandpit might be fun too...sorry :oops: you've got me thinking about my own garden now! Would love to see some photos when you're done x

That's lovely, lucky Dudley! A digging box or little sandpit might be fun too...sorry :oops: you've got me thinking about my own garden now! Would love to see some photos when you're done x

That's a fab idea! I mite buy one of those small plastic sandpits and put soil or something in it for him to have a dig and play. My back yard is small though so I can't do much.
I will get some photos up when I am done. Won't be for a little while though until it is all done. My mum bought a small sandpit for a duck they rescued but the duck has gone to a new home now so I might see if I can steal it.

Rather than buying a kennel, if you/a handy friend has some DIY skills you could make a little shelter yourselves.
My o/h made one from log roll and an offcut of decking board, and the bunsters love it!

Have you seen bensonlola's soil pit? I think its the £15 one from argos and it comes with a lid, looks awesome! Ah little Dudley's gonna be soooo happy!

Back