• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit care leaflet for kiddies?!

georgie_f

Mama Doe
Good morning all!

I've been asked if I can take Thistle into the local primary school for a 'show and tell' type thing (my Mum helps out there and the teacher heard I had a giant rabbit!). I have to admit, I don't really want to take him - he's getting on a bit, I think the kids might freak him out and I don't much like kids myself! :lol: But their teacher assures me that she's taken her own bunny in before and the kids have been very good. She sits them in a circle, puts bun in the middle and tells the children that they are not to move and if bun wants to say hello, he will go to them.

Anyway, I'm thinking maybe I could use this as a way of getting some rabbit care information out.

I will take Jess too, as I wouldn't want to split the pair. I was thinking I could write the leaflet as if it's written by Thistle and Jess and include points like "Thistle says - I love to jump and hop so my house needs to let me do at least four hops without bumping into the wall" etc.

Can anyone else think of points I need to include and how to write them so they're kiddy friendly (these are age 5/6 children)?

I want to cover neutering, vaccinating, diet, housing, exercise, handling etc.

I'll also add a little note for parents on the bottom, saying if they'd like furthur advice or information to contact me.

Any ideas much appreciated! :wave:

You are welcome to print out Clover's poem to take in if you like?

A Rabbit’s Request

A hutch is not enough, oh no,
A rabbit needs much more:
Good food, and piles of sweet fresh hay,
Clean water each and ev’ry day,
A partner to adore.
(Don’t put us in with guinea pigs,
It’s not a good idea;
Our temperaments are not the same,
Just thought I’d make that clear!)

We rabbits need a lot of space
To run and jump and play;
We like to stretch and reach up high,
And ‘binky’, if we may.

And please, some toys would be a help
To stop us getting bored.
(No toys in bunny’s hutch will mean
The wood will get all gnawed...)

We’re not a pet to give a child,
We’re not a toy for cuddles.
Hold us, and we’ll get quite wild
And bite and scratch and struggle.

To keep us safe please vaccinate,
And neuter us when young.
Please check our teeth, please check our claws,
Please check our skin for wounds or sores
To keep us fit and strong.

A hutch is not enough, oh no,
A rabbit needs much more:
So think, before you buy a bun,
Of what might be in store....

©S L Thornton 2010

I think you've just about covered everything there! Good idea to take Jess as you could also emphasise the importance of buns preferring to be in pairs. Maybe also about costs, more for the parents that one but maybe show typical weekly expenses like nuggets, hay, bedding, treats, toys and veg etc oh and pet insurance too. Good luck and i hope those kiddies are well behaved and sit still! :lol:

Thanks guys! Those will both be useful! :wave: That poem's ace! :D

I'm still a little stumped about how I might expain to little kids what neutering is though! :oops::lol:

I'm still a little stumped about how I might expain to little kids what neutering is though! :oops::lol:

Erm, yes that's a little tricky, maybe you could just say they need to have a little operation to stop them having lots of baby bunnies?! And hope to god they don't start asking awkward questions lol.

Also about how much work they are? Not just when it's nice and warm but also cleaning out when it's cold and wet.

you could always just say neutering is a little operation that they do at the animal hospital to stop mummy and daddy rabbits having babies. I said this to my step son who was 5 at the time and he understood it very well. I then told him that mummy and daddy bunnys could have upto 8 baby bunnys..

Don't know if that helps, good luck with it though it's really great that you can educate them at a young age.:D:D

Also if you need any figures for how much a buns costs for the parents. www.makeminechocolate.co.uk do a fab poster with info on it.

Ohh, brilliant ideas! I was thinking I'd type up the info sheets and draw little cartoon bunnies on it for them to colour in. I was also thinking of saying to the teacher to set colouring it in as homework and then I'd pick the best coloured in one and give them a little prize (like a cuddly rabbit or something). I figure if they get it out as 'homework' the parents might be more likely to read it. ;)

Ohh, brilliant ideas! I was thinking I'd type up the info sheets and draw little cartoon bunnies on it for them to colour in. I was also thinking of saying to the teacher to set colouring it in as homework and then I'd pick the best coloured in one and give them a little prize (like a cuddly rabbit or something). I figure if they get it out as 'homework' the parents might be more likely to read it. ;)

Good thinking!!!!!

Good morning all!

I've been asked if I can take Thistle into the local primary school for a 'show and tell' type thing (my Mum helps out there and the teacher heard I had a giant rabbit!). I have to admit, I don't really want to take him - he's getting on a bit, I think the kids might freak him out and I don't much like kids myself! :lol: But their teacher assures me that she's taken her own bunny in before and the kids have been very good. She sits them in a circle, puts bun in the middle and tells the children that they are not to move and if bun wants to say hello, he will go to them.

Anyway, I'm thinking maybe I could use this as a way of getting some rabbit care information out.

I will take Jess too, as I wouldn't want to split the pair. I was thinking I could write the leaflet as if it's written by Thistle and Jess and include points like "Thistle says - I love to jump and hop so my house needs to let me do at least four hops without bumping into the wall" etc.

Can anyone else think of points I need to include and how to write them so they're kiddy friendly (these are age 5/6 children)?

I want to cover neutering, vaccinating, diet, housing, exercise, handling etc.

I'll also add a little note for parents on the bottom, saying if they'd like furthur advice or information to contact me.

Any ideas much appreciated! :wave:

that sounds great! good luck with it.

Back