• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mini rex advice

bubz_79

Warren Scout
I am wanting some advice on the best thing to line the hutch with and for bedding and litter tray as i know you have to be careful with rexs due to the increased chance of sore hocks. Can anyone offer me any advice at all please?

I think a deep bed of hay or straw is best to reduce pressure and is a nice soft surface. Other things to be aware of are long nails and weight as these can both contribute to hock problems.

Try and keep your buns off rough surfaces such as carpet or concrete

thank you. So continue with the straw, will they be ok in the hutch base bere or shall i keep straw there too? Also what about the litter tray, I have wood shavings in there with hay at the mo but worried it might cause friction or sores.

I would put hay anywhere they are going to be - do they have a run too? If so I would keep them on grass rather than concrete

They only came to us on Sunday and are 9 weeks old so was advised to keep them in the hutch for a few days and slowly introduce them to their new enclosure, which should be finished on Saturday. The enclosure is on my decked area but i have layed turf on part of it too.

im off to look.........feel bit silly now Ive already seen them and commented just didnt recognise the username :oops:

lol don't worry i only joined yesterday so no worries :D

Razzle and Dazzle are both flopped relaxed in hutch at the mo :) and loving there hay top ups through the day :)

Back