• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long should it take for a male to get over castration?

andy5898

Warren Scout
My little lad was neutered on Friday. He came home the same day and stayed inside the night. But since then he has become a shadow of his former self. He is no longer desperate to come out of his hutch, he just sits there looking sad. When I lift him out and put him in his run he does cheer up slightly.

He is eating and going to the toilet etc, and the vet saw him last night and said he is fine.

So will he now stay like this a sad little thing or will he begin to get better? How long should it take for him to get over it?

Thanks

As long as he is eating and going to the toilet then he'll be fine.

Some of my boys bounced back straight away, some took a few days to perk up to their usual happy self. One even took a couple of weeks to get back to 100%.

Joe took about a week to properly get back to normal, he was really subdued, and would only eat fresh herbs for a few days, but he's eating and pooping which is a good sign. Is he on metacam?He's maybe still sore?

Joe took about a week to properly get back to normal, he was really subdued, and would only eat fresh herbs for a few days, but he's eating and pooping which is a good sign. Is he on metacam?He's maybe still sore?

He isn't on anything, well nothing I have been told to give him. I think he had a pain killer injection on Friday. So it should last. It's just I read he should be bouncing around farily quickly but my little lad isn't. He is just very subdued. He won't even come out of his hutch to cuddle up to my cat, she is desperatley wondering where her little mate has gone!

I am just now concerned if it was a good idea to have him neutered, I know it probably was but he just looks so sad. :cry:

I am just now concerned if it was a good idea to have him neutered, I know it probably was but he just looks so sad. :cry:

Yes it was definitely the right thing to do, don't worry. Some buns just don't bounce back as quickly. Personally I would think that this meant that bun needed a little extra medication perhaps to help them get back on top of things. A low-grade stasis as a result of the pain, stress and GA could be delaying his recovery. I would, if it were me, pop him back to the vet for some more pain relief just for today to see if that helps perk him up, and perhaps some gut motility meds as well - just to really kick start everything and encourage his appetite a bit more. I would be wary about leaving a mild ileus sitting there festering personally and would rather deal with it proactively if possible. I'm sure he's going to be fine, just some buns have more trouble coping with the whole procedure etc. especially if pain relief was not continued the next day - it should have been. It would only have lasted 24 hours at the most.

I agree with Lupin, the metacam only stays in their system for a day at the most so he's probably trying to sit still to minimise any discomfort downstairs :shock: but not moving about and being in pain really aren't going to help his gut movement so i'd definitely pop him back to the vet for a checkover. Hope he's back to normal soon :)

Edited to add: Your vet/nurse should see him for free as a post-op check-up, I took Joe back twice due to his slow recovery.

Last edited:
We went back to the vet last night, and I mentioned about him being very quiet etc, but they told me this was to be expected. Equally come the evenings he is happily hopping around providing it isn't in his run. Ive cleaned his hutch and everything to make sure that now he is a bit less of his former self he can feel its his own terriotry still, (didn't know if his smell might change after his operation).

So if we go and get the pain killer is it an injection, and should it last long enough for him to be feeling better and not needing another dose?

Very concerned bunny owner who feels awful here!

Metacam can be given orally and tastes nice so they often take it quite willingly. He would need a dose daily as it only lasts 24 hours but they should be able to give you a bottle to take home with you.

Thanks for all the advise. I got home on Monday evening after having a day of feeling guilty. My little Roger was happily bouncing around came dashing up to see me and clambered up me leg for a cuddle. I forgot that he had also had his injections as well so that probably made him feel low too.

One of those things because the operation seemed far more major thats the only thing I could even think about it being!

Cheers

Thanks for all the advise. I got home on Monday evening after having a day of feeling guilty. My little Roger was happily bouncing around came dashing up to see me and clambered up me leg for a cuddle. I forgot that he had also had his injections as well so that probably made him feel low too.

One of those things because the operation seemed far more major thats the only thing I could even think about it being!

Cheers

What at the same time as his neuter?! :shock: I would avoid something like this in future if I were you, if he had his vaccination at the same time as surgery no wonder his recovery took so long. One immune stress at a time is better for bunny, rather than all in one go.

Glad to hear he is feeling much better now. :)

What at the same time as his neuter?! I would avoid something like this in future if I were you, if he had his vaccination at the same time as surgery no wonder his recovery took so long. One immune stress at a time is better for bunny, rather than all in one go.

I'm surprised a vet was happy to do both at the same time. What vet do you use Andy? Golden valley in Nailsea are fab if they are anywhere near you.

Back