• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying stuff :)

Hey :)
I know that nearly everyone on here spays, Does this reduce the risk of cancer?
Does it also make them less territorial?

and if you had two un-spayed does, Would they probably end up fighting?

I would definately neuter males that are together. I'd also only keep un-neutered females together if they are bonded. I would also not try bonding an unneutered pair. Although i have bonded my trio un-neutered, they were mother with two daughters. I did this on neutral ground- the kitchen and they were fine together. Neutering does stop the terrritorial behavior as it effects the hormones.

Would that explain why my old rabbit wouldnt let me near her hutch? :oops:

Neutering seems better, It seems that there are too many risks unneutered/spayed.

how old- after a certain age it's not recommended i believe? Will have to check with the other member of the forum on the time frame i'm not that well up on that. I don't know if the risk of cancer reduces after a certain age like it does in humans.

how old- after a certain age it's not recommended i believe? Will have to check with the other member of the forum on the time frame i'm not that well up on that. I don't know if the risk of cancer reduces after a certain age like it does in humans.

This is not true. As long as the doe is healthy then there is no reason not to spay based on age. Liz who runs Rainbow Rabbits a sanctuary for sick and old bunnies frequently spays older females in order to bond them if she considers them to be healthy.

I would advise that you spay your female as it is likely that she will die of cancer prematurely if not and will help with behaviour. As for bonding the easiest pairing is a spayed female and castrated male.

Back