• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am questioning the wisdom of teeth trim vs. teeth removal

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
Bernie had 3 top, right upper teeth removed 3 years ago. Since then, 1 of the lower teeth needed to be trimmed every 8 mth., but last year, he needs to trim 2 mth. after the prev. trim., i.e., his trim was done in Sep. 2009, then again in Nov. 2009.

Now, 6 mth. later, this tooth needed to be trimmed again. So I now serious question the wisdom of why it is not remove in the first place? As using the upper gum for the daily teeth movement doesn't seems to be working all the time. As there are cycles that he uses for only 2 mth. or cycle he uses it for 8 mth. before a trim is needed

And even if he can uses that bottom teeth every 8 mth. before trim, what harm is it to remove it? Because it's not often 8 mth. cycle as I mentioned before, we have seen 2 mth., 6 mth., or 8 mth. cycles.

He's now 5.3 yr. old

I've never had a bun have molars removed but Daphne has had her incisors out. All four of them even though one of the bottom ones was growing straight and correct.

I was told that if teeth were removed, the opposite tooth had to be removed too as it wouldn't have anything to grind on and wouldn't wear down. Maybe this is the problem? I would consider bringing it up with the vet and see if they'd be wiling to remove the opposite teeth too.

The opposite teeth has been removed due to dental disease. However, I just read Dr. H Brown book, on the section to this matter, 1 of the problem is that the jaw bone won't be as strong if there is a hole (tooth removal) in between.

So among other issues, she advises against it. I'll just do the trim then

I guess there are a lot of arguements for and against having the teeth out. If you're happy to keep getting the overgrowing ones burred down then I guess it'd be best to keep them in. Although if they're really causing him problems, I'd think about having them out. It'll weaken the jaw but careful diet management will ensure he doesn't do himself a mischief. :)

Back