• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried

clarebear

Mama Doe
I'm worried about Bramble tonight, he seems to be acting very strangely. I let him out at lunch time, for a quick hop around and he was having a lovely time. However when I tried to get him back into his run, he refused! Thought he was just being naughty, so gave him a bit longer, and then managed to get him back in with some treats.

Tonight I let him out while I cleaned out his hutch and run, and he was having a play. My OH came out in the garden, and all of a sudden Bramnle wasn't happy and kept stamping his feet. I thought maybe the neighbours had an animal (possibly a rabbit) out in their garden, and maybe he could sense it. He didn't want to go back in his runn again. OH went in, and he seemed much happier for a while, and then the stamping started again. Manged to get him back in (treats again!), but he has been on edge all evening, and hasn't eaten his veg.

He doesn't seem relaxed at all, not sitting down, but up on his back legs, and jumping at every noise.

I'm worried there is something seriously wrong, or he has been badly spooked. :cry:

Could be any number of things, he might have caught the scent of something unfamiliar, heard a bird alarm calling, thumping is rarely a 'cry wolf' scenario even if you can't fathom what it was he is probably spooked by something, I would just re-assure him, maybe cover him up tonight and a few extra treats and just a bit more TLC than normal for a few days, if any of mine thump I generally respond by getting a torch and looking around the garden, then speak to them to tell them it's alright, if they thump free ranging be really careful, on first glance I have seen nothing but, on careful inspection spotted a cat ! It's worth being protective when he does it, he see's you as his protector and wants you to 'watch his back' so to speak. Hope he will feel better tomorrow.

Is he eating and pooping OK (you mentioned he had not eaten veg). He could have been spooked by something. I hope he will be OK but keep a close eye on him in case it is something else and make sure he is eating and drinking something. If in doubt take him to the vet to get checked out.

I have had something similar with one of mine a couple of times but not been able to find out what it was, I had to sit in their wendy house for a while to calm him down but he was still stamping feet for some time.

Thanks for the advice. We cover him up at night anyway, so will go and do that in a mo. Wish I wasn't working tomorrow! Hopefully he will be okay in the morning. Feel like getting in the hutch with him to reassure him. We are off to the vets on Wednesday for vaccinations anyway....I wonder if he realises this? I closed the back door when I made the appointment, so he couldn't hear!

I agree totally with Vicky P.
Your bun is sensing danger. His acute senses are smell, & hearing, plus understanding bird alarm calls instinctively. (=predator inthe air/predator on the ground) I'd make extra sure he's safe, & be extra vigillant.

Thank you. I am going out to see him now and cover him up. He's not eaten much of his veggies for tea, but has had hay, pellets and grass today. I expect it will be gone by the morning!

Bramble is fine today. When I went out this morning he had eaten all his veggies from last night. Much happier bunny today :) The neighbour came round and knocked the door earlier, she has two new kittens! Now we know why Bramble was stamping last night!

I'm so incredibly relieved for you.
TBH I was concerned about a fox, I'm thrilled that the answer is kittens.

It depends on so many things, but have you considered introducing the kittens to Bramble when he's in his run, & regular safe, supervised contact to teach them that he's part of their family?

Oddly we've had bunns thumping! And all ours are indoors! I would sit with them in the dark for a while giving them headrubs and they'd calm down. Glad to hear you've found a reason for it. Hope he soon accepts the kittens.

Back