• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog crates

Gertie

Mama Doe
Hi. :wave:

Since my guys have fairly recently bonded, they are in need of moving into a new home together which meets their new love needs :love:. They're indoor bunnies, but outside in their run from sun up to sun down. I was thinking about the dog crate option, the 48" one. I'd like to put a shelf in, but I'm concerned about headroom! I've also contemplated getting two crates and joining then together. The height is approximately 32", so that would be halved, minus some for the thickness of the shelf, is this going to provide enough bunny bonce room? Gertie's the biggest, but she should only weigh about the same as Robert when she's at her ideal weight (she's a buxom young lady at the mo) which is about 2.7kg. They will need to be shut in there, as I would not leave them free range when we are not supervising over night.
Anyone done this? Is headroom an issue? I'm struggling to find a decent cage for my two as a rabbit cage and I'm thinking the only way to go is DIY! Moving them outside is not an option. Robert is on meds almost constantly and we like him close by, especially overnight.

I did this...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=226875

Well my Dad did. We've actually taken out the top shelf for the moment as they were getting up there and weeing a lot and as they've recently been drinking a lot it was getting a bit out-of-hand. As we've stemmed that issue we may put it back in. I think the headroom is ok as long as they arn't shut in. Also ours isn't the largest one available, we don't have room for a bigger one.

You could use those nic cubes and build a two panel high pen. I have a version from Costco which has been really useful when ours have had to come inside.

You could use those nic cubes and build a two panel high pen. I have a version from Costco which has been really useful when ours have had to come inside.

We have one of these too for our lionheads pair as we can't leave them out free-ranging all night like the other two.

Thanks for your input. :)

As for the cube thingies, I had a look online but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for! Can anyone give me a website that sells them?

Thanks, another question though!

Are they strong? If I were to put a shelf in, would it hold the weight of my two combined (currently about 6kg... :oops:)?

Are you talking about the cubes or dog crate?

If cubes then...

Erm, no :p we had our three up there and their combined weight is about 5kg and we didn't contemplate having no reinforcement. It was really simple though. We got a bit of wood and threaded it through the squares in the mesh (need to use the bigger holed ones) and just put a couple of screws each end to stop it slipping out. TBH it doesn't slip at all so the screws arn't really needed but if the piece of wood is quite a snug fit so any looser and it might move around.

As for the dog crate then yes it's really quite strong, we did four smaller batons across and it holds it fine.

Last edited:
Hi ya, I have a 48 inch dog crate with attach drop pin pen for my two indoor lads and it gives them more than six foot by six foot space to run around in.

Back