• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy's abscess is back :(

MPHF

Alpha Buck
:wave:
This morning we noticed that it seemed Floppy had been dribbling. Afte a closer inspection, we found her abscess had also got bigger and harder and looked irratated and red. This evening we took her to see the vet. She had a convenia injection and has to go in tomorrow for another lance and drain of the abscess. The last time she had it drained was the end of March so she has gone about six weeks without it causing any problems.
We know that this is a continuing problem but we have no idea when enough is enough. :cry:
Please can we have some vibes for Flops tomorrow (and Harley) :)

The absecess is because of her tooth roots and it underneath her jaw. It made her more comfortable before so hopefully it will do the same this time :) When she came round from the GA last time it took her a couple of days to recover so this time she is having as little sedation as possible.

Good luck with the abcess drain, a worrying time I know, but Floppy is a strong girl, i'm sure she can fight it again. :) Vicky x

I thought I recognised the buns! Thanks Vicky
Hopefully this time she wont have as much anasthetic so will come round better. I sent a note to the nurse who looks after them to tell her that Harley gets very nervous so they keep a close eye on him too.
Thanks for all the vibes. Should hear around lunchtime on how she is.

Aww bloomin abscesses - I know how you feel. I've got an abscess bunny too and noticed just this morning that its come back after 6 months free of it.
Can the capsule be removed rather than lanced? We've had more success doing that - well, you get longer inbetween ops anyway?

Good Luck, let us know how you get on.

They are now home. :D
It all went well and Floppy was heavily sedated. She is quite wobbly and tired still but I think both of them will be better here.
Unfortunately Floppy's abscess cant be removed as it's on her jaw.
We are now going to treat her with septrin and convenia.
Fingers crossed she recovers ok.

So pleased to hear you are all home safe and sound :) Poor Floppy, she is such a brave girl. Sending you all lots of tlc and vibes and hoping she can get back on her feet really quickly. xx

Oh no! I've only just seen this. Poor Floppy and poor you guys :(

I would suggest, again, the Manuka honey. Someone on here had a bunny who the vet had no idea what to do and she used Manuka honey and fixed him. bviously Floppy can't be fixed like that, but maybe it might help control it all a bit better.

What a nightmare :( You do have an option of Zithromax too, and also penicillin's. If our vets won't use penicillin's then I know of a vet somewhere near Manningtree that will.

I hope she recovers quickly and Harley isn't too stressed tonight.

Floppy is eating, pooping, weeing and drinking. She had a good night and is now snuggled with Harley. Hopefully she will continue like this and not go downhill like she did last time. So far so good. :D
Harley has also been fantastic. No stress and is so pleased to be home!
It was like they were having a "who can do the best flops" last night, which made me cry as I'm so soft. :oops:

Great news Clare :D So pleased to hear she is recovering well so far and that Harley coped better than expected. Sounds like they looked after your buns very well at the vets but I bet they are so pleased to be home. Hope Floppy continues to recover well. Well done Floppy! :) x

Thete is no evidence to suggest that convenia has the same 2 week duration in rabbits as it does in dogs and cats. Trials in other animals have shown that the convenia can be out of the system in a matter of hours. The likleyhood is that if you have a jaw abscess, a tooth root is involved. this will act as a nidus of infection which will never go until it is debrided surgically. Suggestions such as penicillin injections and honey all have weight but if there is an underlying issue, this abscess will never be treated until that issue is addressed
Goodluck

Floppy has a jaw abscess and she has tooth root problems. We just want to keep her comfy. We have another tooth root/abscess bun, Minnie. She has convenia every 5 days and it is working really well for her and controlling her abscess. We realise that Minnie and Floppy will never get rid of these problems but we just want them to be comfortable and enjoy their lives. We didn't think Minnie was going to make Christmas but she is still going strong.

Back