• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anybody had a quality problem with Oxbow timothy hay?

seagreen

Warren Scout
Just opened my last delivery of a 4kg bag of Oxbow Western Timothy Hay & was shocked by its poor quality.

None of beautiful, sweet smelling, broad bladed green hay I've been used to & which Toby Rabbit loves - just a full bag of storky hay, more like straw with no smell & dusty with wedges of old yellowed dead hay amongst it.

& for the 1st time there was a " Our Hay Quality Hay Promise" printed note inside the bag from Oxbow saying:-

For small sized packages (less than 5lbs) we sort & inspect the hay by hand during the packaging process

Hay purchased in larger sizes (over 5lbs) offers customers an excellent per-pound value. Because the larger sizes are packaged by bale or flake, we are unable to view & handsort all interior poritions. All hay is a product by nature, so there will always be some variability of quality in particular bale or flake. As you remove daily feeding portions, you may encounter some interior hay that you choose to discard. This can be expected when purchasing hay in larger quantities.

At around £28, with vat & carriage, it doesn't work out much cheaper than buying 4 X 1kg bags so I can't see it as excellent value for money or expect to have to discard any "quality" hay at that price.

Has anyone else experienced quality problems with Oxbow hay ?

I haven't noticed anything, but I'm working my way through a huge box currently, so the batch I've got isn't recent. I've noticed before that it does vary in quality throughout the year, as all hay tends to.

We havent had any problems. We have had to contact Oxbow before, their customer service is excellent so i would contact them direct :) xxx

I had trouble with the Oxbow Orchard grass during winter & switched to Burn's green oat. The dust was terrible, & made my bun sneeze :(

I had a problem with extremely dusty oxbow timothy hay over winter (seriously, about a fifth of the box was dust...) but the last box I got about a month ago was sweet-smelling and wonderful again.

Back