• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how many kilograms of hay do you feed your rabbits a month?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
One of my bales came with a weight of 21kgs. The stuff i used to buy from pets at home was 3kgs.

What quantity of hay do you feed your rabbits. What is the Minimum hay requirement?

Do you use hayracks- how many times daily do you fill this? Mine don't eat out of the hay racks, some of them- they prefer it on the floor.

Some people say they feed a couple of handfuls- has anyone ever weighed hay to see how much they are feeding?

How many grams of hay should one be feeding daily per rabbit ? If we are feeing say 10grams of pellets. 100 grams of veg, what is the hay in grams- or should it be?

Thanks alot :)

Last edited:
mine have unlimited hay I always make sure they have lots every day. a bale will last my 5 about 5 to 6 weeks

I wouldnt worry about hay intake you can never overfeed on hay. I think i read somewhere a dwarf rabbit needs 100g a day not sure for mediums and giants

I've never weighed our hay. I just go by volume. It's not really easy to be exact anyway as they never eat every single scrap. Our hay always comes out in a large 'clump' about a foot wide so basically I give each pair a 'clump' in the morning and a 'clump' in the evening.

ETA: It all goes in their litter tray apart from a small amount that the lions have in their hay 'basket'. The lops don't have one of those yet. They usually just end up pulling it out of the basket though so I prefer putting it straight in their trays. They get new stuff twice a day and we always have a hefty amount of megazorb at the bottom along with a thick layer of hay to begin with.

Last edited:
I wouldnt worry about hay intake you can never overfeed on hay. I think i read somewhere a dwarf rabbit needs 100g a day not sure for mediums and giants

Thanks- i'm worried mine are not getting the right intake of hay- i'm trying to get them to eat it as i'm reducing the intake of pellets. Hopefully this will just occur naturally. I do have a greedy pair who eat loads of hay, so i just keep restocking the rack. I have some that don't seem to touch there hay and i have a trio that eat the hay really well, whilst my other trio are not as good on the hay eating front.

It's trying to get them to eat the hay that is the problem for me at the moment as they have been so used to eating a high pellet diet.

Thanks- i'm worried mine are not getting the right intake of hay- i'm trying to get them to eat it as i'm reducing the intake of pellets. Hopefully this will just occur naturally. I do have a greedy pair who eat loads of hay, so i just keep restocking the rack. I have some that don't seem to touch there hay and i have a trio that eat the hay really well, whilst my other trio are not as good on the hay eating front.

It's trying to get them to eat the hay that is the problem for me at the moment as they have been so used to eating a high pellet diet.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing, and I think they are eating more, as people have said it is hard to tell though! A hay rack can be a good guide but mine dont like them that much, prefer to eat off the floor. Try lots of different types of hay, mine love oat, wheat and barley hay, and timothy hay, and all but Zero like meadow hay.

To be honest we can not force then to eat hay, I have 4 very big hay munchers, and one whos not as big and shes a bigger bunny too,

As long as you provide it and they are eating it, pooing well etc I wouldnt panic.

My lot have the whole of their floor covered in it, as well as a big fresh top up everyday, they make so much mess Ive never bothered with hay rack, 'm just there slave following behind with a hoover :lol:

To be honest we can not force then to eat hay, I have 4 very big hay munchers, and one whos not as big and shes a bigger bunny too,

As long as you provide it and they are eating it, pooing well etc I wouldnt panic.

I agree with this to some extent but if they are filling up on pellets and veg then they may choose not to eat because they simply arn't hungry.

I agree with this to some extent but if they are filling up on pellets and veg then they may choose not to eat because they simply arn't hungry.

Oh I agree with your point too, people who feed just dry and veg and only give a handfull of hay a day is wrong to me, my buns only get veg 3 times a week spoilt on sunday though as it sunday lunch day, they all know it :lol: and small handfull of pellets for my pairs and my big girl once a day, if they run out they eat hay,

A 1kg bag last my two about 5 days. I'm not sure on weights exactly but my vet told me a bun should eat it's own body size in hay each day. They've got two hay racks that get topped up 3 times a day (morning, when i get in from work and bedtime)

I go through roughly two bales a month, i don't know the weight but i feed unlimited hay and top up their hay daily :D

We get through a 25kg bale every 5 days or so. There are 16 bunnies here. I'm very, very generous with my hay, it's everywhere, so a lot if thrown away uneaten, but at the same time, a huge quantity is eaten too. Mine get very minimal pellets and minimal fresh, so hay is the main part of what they eat.

I have heard a few times that the average rabbit should eat his/her size in hay everyday, although I have no idea how compressed or pulled apart that is.

We get through a 25kg bale every 5 days or so. There are 16 bunnies here. I'm very, very generous with my hay, it's everywhere, so a lot if thrown away uneaten, but at the same time, a huge quantity is eaten too. Mine get very minimal pellets and minimal fresh, so hay is the main part of what they eat.

I have heard a few times that the average rabbit should eat his/her size in hay everyday, although I have no idea how compressed or pulled apart that is.

Thanks for this info- what amount grams wise- or how much do you feed veg a day? 25kg- normal farm bale size. So i would make that 1 bale a week if i was feeding in your way for my 14. That would be £26.00 a month for hay if i go through this forum for hay, then what costs do you spend on veggies just out of interest?

I'm trying to work out the most cost effective and nutritionally balanced way to feed them all. I've been feeding them on a very high pellet diet to date- as per recommedations on the bags- 70g-100g, but i've sometimes filled casserole size bowls filled up for them to free eat.

I've also fed hay daily, but only filled up the hay racks, rather than the floor.I have had hay over the shavings though for bedding also , but now i've ditched shavings for megazorb and hay. I'm trying to figure out how best to feed them based on the new information i've got on this forum.

I'd never would have guessed i ought to be feeding 10g pellets, i still feel very reluctant to do that, and i didn't realise how much cawliflower leaves weighed gram wise, which is what i generally feed as veg. Although i feed carrots too, which again i've been over-feeding. No wonder my bunnys are on the chubby side!

On the plus side though- i haven't had any health problems for years and it sounds like people on this forum get quite a few health problems related to gastrointestinal problems, which i've never had any of mine suffer with at all. May have just been lucky.

A 1kg bag last my two about 5 days. I'm not sure on weights exactly but my vet told me a bun should eat it's own body size in hay each day. They've got two hay racks that get topped up 3 times a day (morning, when i get in from work and bedtime)

I wish i could get mine to eat so much hay- they have been so used to a high pellet diet- that they just don't seem that fussed about hay. Some do, and i fill the racks up , the racks from pets at home , seem to hold a tiny amount compared to what most people are feeding on here.

Back