• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD vaccination - do you get your buns done?

weedug

Mama Doe
Have heard a few bad tales of VHD vaccinations, even using Lapinject and wondered what thoughts others have on getting the vaccination.

And do the risks of side effects go up for a 5 year old?

I know how rotten the disease is, but am just trying to weigh up whether to go ahead or not.

Last edited:
mine have never had a bad reaction to VHD, I think its only a small percentage that do. As long as it isnt done at the same time as your myxi jab it should be fine I know of one vets that does a combi-jab :shock:

i wouldnt risk the alternative of not having it done :wave::wave:

Pearl had it even when she was in heart failure, before she got really poorly ofcourse.

Both Alvin and pearl did react slightly to the cylap one, Alvin got the limp first time then nothing after (i beleive the slight scabs he got were from the numerous injections because of stasis rather than the VHD but i guess it cant be ruled out)
Pearl had some quite horrible scabs the first time she had the jab but nothing major.

Holly is Due a VHD jab at the end of the month and as fearful as i am about possible side effects im much more scared of finding her dead after a painful 12 hours :(

Scamp's been fine on the cylap but had a bad skin reaction to the lapinject :roll: Won't stop me vaccinating though. A scab for a week or two is better than catching VHD.

I have 25 rabbits and have all of them vaccinated if they are in reasonable health. I've never had a bad reaction so far, either from cylap or lapinject...and that's quite a lot of vaccinations!

I have 16 rabbits and all are vaccinated. We had some bad reactions to Cylap in bunnies undr 1.7kg a few years ago, and so now those rabbits get a half dose, but, according to my vet, that still covers them. We have not had any problems since.

If I didn't vaccinate and somehow the virus got in, all the bunnies would die and that's just not worth it.

That puts my mind at rest a bit. I worry about everything for my buns :lol:.

Is it best to wait 2 weeks or 3 after the myxi jag, or does it not matter?

Last edited:
That puts my mind at rest a bit. I worry about everything for my buns :lol:.

Is it best to wait 2 weeks or 3 after the myxi jag, or does it not matter?

the min is 2 weeks but that makes me uncomfortable (lou agreed) im giving 4 weeks for Holly's system to get ready for the VHD. i know im probably risking her but i want her stress levels to be as low as possible before i subject her to yet another Jab so soon after bonding/new home.

Mine all have it. I think they had Cylap last time and they do tend to be a bit groggy in the evening so next time I'm asking for Lapinet instead. As I have four bunnies that are done together I can't see what their problem will be with doing that.

Last edited:
I would definately vaccinate a healthy bun.

I have 11 buns and they will all be vaccinated bar 1 or 2 depending on my discussion with the vet, as they have ongoing issues.

Bella and Oscar have just had their myxo but will have their HVD in 3wks time, I think our prices have gone up to £30 each :shock: I'm sure they was cheaper than that!

All my healthy Rabbits are VHD vaccinated (Lapinject)

I do not vaccinate those with a chronic illness

I have 40 Rabbits

I would never use Cylap VHD Vaccine

Why not Jane? Is there something I don't know?! Eeek.

All of mine have had Cylap over the years. No side effects apart from Oscar developing a limp after his injection which disappeared after a day.

Why not Jane? Is there something I don't know?! Eeek.

All of mine have had Cylap over the years. No side effects apart from Oscar developing a limp after his injection which disappeared after a day.

Its purely a personal opinion based on the fact that I have seen some awful side-effects from Cylap xx

Harrys got his first VHD vaccine this sat im a bit nervous i dont not y really, he so gd very he has injections but im a worrier anyway

My 12 are all vaccinated against VHD using lapinject - never had any adverse reaction at all.

Louie is vaccinated and although he didn't have a serious reaction after Cylap, he was very drowsy and didn't have much appetite for the first 24 hours after receiving it.

Back