• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"best" way of homing baby rabbits?

serendipity

Warren Scout
What is your advice on how to find homes for our baby rabbits? I'm obviously very fond of them but now need to think about homing them as my garden isn't big enough to keep the three babies and of course we now have a new litter also to rehome in 8 weeks.

I'm wary of advertising them locally as want to ensure they go to good homes with big spaces for them.

I've seen that Pets At Home will take them but know people on here are very negative about them (although our local one is good imo).

I've asked amongst friends and potentially have a home for one.

We already have three adult rabbits so I don't think keeping any more is practical on a cost front.

P.S. Will not be homing yet as only 4 and a half weeks but am thinking ahead.

Hi! :wave:

If I was in your situation I would consider asking the local vets if you can pop a few adverts up in surgeries local to you. Chances of finding them a good home will be that little bit higher as people who care very little for their pets wouldn't be in a vets anyway. ;)

Also, only rehome them to people that you either know personally (and know they will look after the bun to a good standard) or only rehome them to people that are willing to let you do a homecheck.

If you really have trouble finding them new homes, I'm sure that rescues would be willing to give you a hand with furthur advice or as a last resort, homing them for you.

Don't take them to a pet shop. The shop itself might seem brilliant but there's now way of knowing where your babies will end up and pet shops will not check that they are going to a good home.

Thank you, they're so so gorgeous and incredibly tame, I'd love to keep them all really lol.
Good idea re the vet, I'll ask as am taking my 2 boys to be neutered on friday.

hi i dont know your situation but guessing from the way you are looking for good homes i assume these were not planned "bred" litters. i would put adverts out but put a small price on each bunny even if it is only £5 or £10 if you want to deter the snake industry. i would write up a fact sheet about rabbit care to go with each rabbit and ideally home them once i had neutered and vaccinated it may be difficult for you t keep them all that long or to fund this and i apprichaite that so prehaps have jsut their firstmyxo vaccs done so they leave with a vaccination card too? i would put on my advert something like

baby rabbits needing good homes 10/7/10(or whatever date i dont know their ages so i have made this up), home check will be required or proof of where going to be living, and accomodation must meet rspca rabbit guidelines all rabbits must get access to run space and be loved unconditionally only good loving homes considered. care and fact sheet provided plus 1st vaccination and small bag of dried food and hay if serious in owning a bunny please contact me for more information and viewing 07******* etc

You have been given great advice about trying to rehome locally, but you can also put on here if you pm one of the moderators.

I have written a large adoption pack that I give out to people adopting from the RSPCA I volunteer at. If you would like me to send you enough copies for you to give out one copy with each bunny I'm more than happy to.

Thank you so much everyone, I'll try and pm one of the moderators and find out how to advertise on here, I'd love them to go to people who understand rabbits.

What is your advice on how to find homes for our baby rabbits? I'm obviously very fond of them but now need to think about homing them as my garden isn't big enough to keep the three babies and of course we now have a new litter also to rehome in 8 weeks.

I'm wary of advertising them locally as want to ensure they go to good homes with big spaces for them.

I've seen that Pets At Home will take them but know people on here are very negative about them (although our local one is good imo).

I've asked amongst friends and potentially have a home for one.

We already have three adult rabbits so I don't think keeping any more is practical on a cost front.

P.S. Will not be homing yet as only 4 and a half weeks but am thinking ahead.

Just curious as you do not say.......are you a breeder, intentional , careless or otherwise.......or

Are these all accidents and what have you done to stop any more?

Just curious as you do not say.......are you a breeder, intentional , careless or otherwise.......or

just wanted to qoute an earlier post they put

Thank you, they're so so gorgeous and incredibly tame, I'd love to keep them all really lol.
Good idea re the vet, I'll ask as am taking my 2 boys to be neutered on friday.

Not a breeder, not intentional as were told our males were female.

But am trying to make the best of the situation and do the decent thing by ensuring they go to good homes. My males are being neutered tomorrow, my female will be spayed in a few weeks when this litter are older.

I could of course just dump them at a pet shop and be done with it but care too much for them.

I know people on here are trying to do their best by rabbits and may think I am foolish and I accept we were naive but I really am trying to do this right hence my many posts.

i am in exactly the same position, told it was a boy and accidently:( escaped one night and 30 days later six wild/domestic babies popped out. However i am worried because they are x's no one will buy them:oops::(:cry:

Please keep in mind that male rabbit can be fertile for up to 6 weeks after neutering, so keep your boys away from the female.

As for rehoming the babies, you can advertise them here or at your vet's, but please make sure they go to responsible people, who will get them neutered and not produce any more babies. If you're not sure what sex they are, ask your vet to help you find out. It's not always easy to tell.

How is your female coping with two litters?

Please keep in mind that male rabbit can be fertile for up to 6 weeks after neutering, so keep your boys away from the female.

As for rehoming the babies, you can advertise them here or at your vet's, but please make sure they go to responsible people, who will get them neutered and not produce any more babies. If you're not sure what sex they are, ask your vet to help you find out. It's not always easy to tell.

How is your female coping with two litters?

Thank you, yes we'll keep them apart for a while for sure, I don't think my heart could cope with more!

I've found a home for two babies today for in two weeks time. That makes me feel much happier. They're going to a friend of mine who has had rbbits in teh past and has a big run and hutch set up in the garden.

Mum didn't cope with 2 litters - when litter number 2 came along, she started biting the older litter and kind of throwing them round the cage. As they were eating pellets and hay and drinking from the water bottle, I moved them out and they are together in another hutch. I currently have FOUR hutch and run combos in my garden! I'm like the eccentric old woman with endless chidlren and rabbits.

(I have 4 children).

i am in exactly the same position, told it was a boy and accidently:( escaped one night and 30 days later six wild/domestic babies popped out. However i am worried because they are x's no one will buy them:oops::(:cry:
Why do you think no one would want them? :shock: I know a couple of people with wild rabbits and wild crosses and they're all happy buns :)
Don't worry..........

Just a small update.

I have homes for 2 out of the three older babies with a friend who used to have bunnies and has a huge chicken coop style hutch with run attached,

We may keep the third older baby although I am pretty certain he is a boy and I am not sure how that would work re bonding. (We currently have 2 neutered males living apart and the female with her new babies).

I am wondering if I might be able to bond my two neutered males in a few weeks? And put baby back with mum?

The new litter is at least 4, maybe 5. 2 black, 2 brown and maybe a grey. They are now 8 days.

Just a small update.

I have homes for 2 out of the three older babies with a friend who used to have bunnies and has a huge chicken coop style hutch with run attached,

We may keep the third older baby although I am pretty certain he is a boy and I am not sure how that would work re bonding. (We currently have 2 neutered males living apart and the female with her new babies).

I am wondering if I might be able to bond my two neutered males in a few weeks? And put baby back with mum?

The new litter is at least 4, maybe 5. 2 black, 2 brown and maybe a grey. They are now 8 days.

dont put neutered males in with mum until a minimum of 6 weeks after their op else she could still get pregnant. regarding bonding males sometimes it works it depnds on personalitys i would not bond anybuns until all are neutered as you dont want to seperate them to take to vets for neuter else you may have to rebond all over again. x

Why do you think no one would want them? :shock: I know a couple of people with wild rabbits and wild crosses and they're all happy buns :)
Don't worry..........

I will just keep trying, but time is wearing on and i dont have enough hutches to put boys and girls apart.:oops::(

Just a small update.

Where abouts in Warwickshire are you as there is a couple of us rescues about who may be able to help with the bonding when the time comes.

Back