• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How windy is too windy?

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday was very windy here, well, not as windy as it has been but it was still about 45-50mph. The toys were blowing about in the run and it was rattling a bit itself! But the bunnies were looking bored of just being in their hutch. So I put them out in the run, only for an hour or two, but they definately didn't seem too happy when I got them out!

My Mum said it was far too windy for them to be out! So I just wondered what others thought. We do get a lot of wind being on the west coast of Scotland, my whole run has taken off before, but obviously I wouldn't put them out in that ;) In fact, I've lost 3 runs that way! :shock:

My rabbits seem to love windy weather and binky like mad when it's gusty :love:
So long as you make sure their housing is secure and anything thet may blow over onto them is removed or secured I can't see a problem: they won't blow away!
The only other danger that springs to mind is to make sure doors and gates are secured. A rabbit could be badly injured if a door slams shut on it.
Oh, and check that fence panels and gates are in place before you let them out: I know from experience they will quickly find any gaps if a panel has come loose: I once spent about an hour trying to coax Mango Fattyharebit back from my neighbours garden after a gust had lifted a fence panel bu a few inches (she came back when she was ready luckily) :)

Back