• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dehumidifier

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I eed to get a dehumidifier because Badge'rs breathing has been awful today in the umidity. I need to try and find a way to hlep him get through the summer if i can.

does anyone have any personal recommendations for a dehumidifier that would woerk on a room and could help? i'm not fussed about the price, I just want my boy to be comfortable.

I too would say increased humidity I have heard improves upper respiratory problems by keeping the mucosa hydrated and controlling inflammation. FHB's book talks about increasing hydration with plenty of wet veg to keep the upper respiratory mucosa sufficiently hydrated.

However, lower respiratory issues in humans, especially where there is an 'allergic' response such as asthma - often find humidity harder to breathe. This is why steam inhalation is good for colds and upper RTI's but you would never advise an asthmatic patient to do one as the alveoli and tiny bronchioles suffering an inflammatory response woud just be exacerbated and constrict futher.

Do you know the location of Badger's problems?

I've read about the benefits of humidified air helping people (so I assume pets aswell) with breathing problems.Dehumidifiers dry the air out, so I don't think that would help his breathing ....argos sell humidifiers for about £25 :)

He doesn't cope with the humidity at all. He has some sort of soft pallet issue most likely, from examination, although there was a question about his heart.

He doesn't have a respiratory tract problem. He has no sneezing, no discharge, nothing like that, and he doesn't actually have a lower respiratory infection either, but whatever his issue is, the humidity in the air clearly makes a hugely detrimental difference to him.

On an 'average' warm day he can be fine and we can barely know there is a problem, but, for example, yesterday was a warm day but so humid and he had a completely torrid day. I know that humidity makes a difference to him, but not in the way you guys are saying.

I'm just going to locate myself a dehumidifier and try. If it doesn't help, or makes it worse, then I won't use it.

I'll find something that helps, whatever that may be.

Last edited:
However, lower respiratory issues in humans, especially where there is an 'allergic' response such as asthma - often find humidity harder to breathe. This is why steam inhalation is good for colds and upper RTI's but you would never advise an asthmatic patient to do one as the alveoli and tiny bronchioles suffering an inflammatory response woud just be exacerbated and constrict futher.

When he first started showing a problem I tried steam with him, in the bathroom, and what resulted was mouthbreathing (and then obviously a very distressed rabbit), so that's not something I will ever try again, and I wonder if maybe this is why.

He doesn't cope with the humidity at all. He has some sort of soft pallet issue most likely, from examination, although there was a question about his heart.

He doesn't have a respiratory tract problem. He has no sneezing, no discharge, nothing like that, and he doesn't actually have a lower respiratory infection either, but whatever his issue is, the humidity in the air clearly makes a hugely detrimental difference to him.

On an 'average' warm day he can be fine and we can barely know there is a problem, but, for example, yesterday was a warm day but so humid and he had a completely torrid day. I know that humidity makes a difference to him, but not in the way you guys are saying.

I'm just going to locate myself a dehumidifier and try. If it doesn't help, or makes it worse, then I won't use it, but I will give it a go because if it brings respite, then its worth it.

Thanks.

On this basis I too would give it a go. Whatever works and makes him more comfortable has got to be worth it. Lakeland also sell de-humidifiers as I was just looking in the recent catalogue yesterday!

You might find that there is a small range of humidity that is helpful, eg. 40-45% Anything less than 40% is quite dry, and more than 50 is quite humid. I'd get a small weather station (you can get them online for about £20) to measure it. Then you'll really start to be able to know what works best.

The best dehumidifiers are Ebac ones. They are expensive but run very quietly. If it doesn't help your rabbit it is good for drying clothes are always use to use my dehumidifier instead of my drier (it is cheaper to run)

Thank you very much SarahP and kayj.

SarahP, that is hugely helpful. Thank you! I'm going to get a weather station now and I'm going to chart it. Just thank you so, so much for that!

Aww... no worries. Hope it helps! :) I've got one here in my guinea pig room, although I can't remember where I bought it from.

I've just bought one from Amazon, so thank you so much :) I can chart it then and work out what works and what doesn't for him, and hopefully I can get enough info before we get to the proper summer to work out a plan of action to help him. Thank you, just thank you :)

I have a humidifier (I'm guessing that is what you meant) for Merlins snuffles which helps a lot. The one I have is Nsessity baby one from Amazon about £35.00.

Thanks, but I did mean a dehumidifier, as I stated earlier in the thread. Humidity does him no good at all. Although, it may not be I need a dehumidifier, it may be I need to keep the humidity at a constant percent below what is technically 'humid'- but, thanks to SarahP's incredibly helpful suggestion, I can figure that out.

Back