• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits and air freshners

This may sound really silly but Princess is a house bun and lives in my living room, anyway since we got her I haven't sprayed air freshner in the living room, I was just wondering if it's ok to spray the air freshner?

I was JUST going to post something similar :shock: When I was younger I heard you cant spray aerosols etc around hamsters because of their pouches, but not sure if it is an urban myth. I know it is harmful to fish to use air fresheners not sure about buns

I wouldn't chance it. It's bad enough around some humans, imagine what it must be like for the particles in their little lungs. I use sented candles :wave:

Ty, yes I have stayed away from doing it for now, and just have it in my hall so you smell it when you walk in, yet it's away from her.

I do have a plug in though, do you think that's ok?

I wouldn't use anything artificial but, airfreshners are a really bad idea with any pets, their sense of smell is so sensitive compared to ours, try using something natural like freisia's or stocks in a vase they smell lovely and last a few days minimum or go to holland and barratt and get essential oils, you add a couple of drops to boiled water or a carrier oil and at least you can control it more and it's natural, i would still ventilate the rooms well with any form of airfreshner, the best airfreshner is fresh air:lol:

Ty, yes I have stayed away from doing it for now, and just have it in my hall so you smell it when you walk in, yet it's away from her.

I do have a plug in though, do you think that's ok?[/QUOTE]

:shock: OMG they are really strong, they make me feel queasy it's so sickly, I don't think that when you smell airfreshener in a house it's a good thing, it makes it smell like something is being covered up, another thing you can do is find a really nice fabric softner and just dampen a clean flannel in the sink with a tablespoon of it and then put it on a radiator to heat the smell, it's a much nicer and healthier way to freshen the air.

I think the plug ins are meant to be the worst ones, I know they are lethal to fish. The woman who owned my piggies before me had their tiny hamster cage in front of a plug in air freshener :shock: 3 months and about 5 baths later I can still smell the mix of air freshener and cigarette smoke on them.

I do have a plug in though, do you think that's ok?[/QUOTE]

:shock: OMG they are really strong, they make me feel queasy it's so sickly, I don't think that when you smell airfreshener in a house it's a good thing, it makes it smell like something is being covered up, another thing you can do is find a really nice fabric softner and just dampen a clean flannel in the sink with a tablespoon of it and then put it on a radiator to heat the smell, it's a much nicer and healthier way to freshen the air.

Yer it does tend to linger a bit. Well I'll pop that in my bedroom :). I gotta admit I love the smells of them, I'm the same with fabric conditioner. I do like though when you iron with the smelly ironing water, that sends off a lovely smell.

What we use in the living room which is where Jimby is, is Smellin' Good by Super Pet. It is safe to use around pets and even on them! :shock: However we do not use it on him just to freshen the air, it is lovely and makes the room smell like baby powder! :love:

Plug-ins are worse as they're so much more conentrated. I've just remembered that I burn essential oils, I have a pretty little burner for them but I've never used it in the room Vin was in, just in our bedroom. I don't think they'd be great either. I know these things are most harmful to birds but don't know much about it in buns. :?

Baking soda is also meant to be good for absorbing smells, but I've never used it myself. You wouldn't want to leave that around buns either! In the winter, I make a big pot of water, cinnamon, cloves, allspice etc and leave it to simmer - it gives a lovely smell but is very wintery. I got the idea when I was making mulled wine and the smell permeated through the house. Maybe using lemons and other citrus fruit would have the same effect?

Sounds a good idea, Im not bothered about it for masking smells, as we don't have any smells (don't think :? :lol:) I was just brought up in a house that always smelled of something, and I've always liked it myself, makes it feel homely. But I'm sure there's much more natural ways of doing it :)

I don't use artificial scents at all. It is a purely personal matter, based on the premise that scent is so important to buns, it's even how they distinguish between humans they know & those they don't.

A kind neighbour gave me a blanket, smelling strongly (pleasantly) of fabric conditioner. For the 1st. time in his life Thumps kept spraying the blanket. The answer was so simple, to wash the blanket in my own powder.

I don't know the facts about health issues. I'm simply saying that there are also psychological/stress issues which we cannot begin to understand.

I don't use artificial scents at all. It is a purely personal matter, based on the premise that scent is so important to buns, it's even how they distinguish between humans they know & those they don't.

A kind neighbour gave me a blanket, smelling strongly (pleasantly) of fabric conditioner. For the 1st. time in his life Thumps kept spraying the blanket. The answer was so simple, to wash the blanket in my own powder.

I don't know the facts about health issues. I'm simply saying that there are also psychological/stress issues which we cannot begin to understand.

I agree.

I also feel vapourising any hydrocarbon isn't good for anyone's lungs. Rabbit or human!
Best fresh air is an open window. :)

Back