• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth

cloughie

Banned
Harley was at the vets recently for his Myxi jab. His vet said that his teeth weren't being worn down enough and if this continued then he would need dental work.

The vet said that he is close to developing spurs...what does this mean? How much does this type of dental work cost?

Is there anything more I can do to help Harley? I have cut his food right down to a teaspoon of pellets once a day, he has an unlimited supply of hay and a portion of excel forage dried grass every day. He will only gnaw on stuff if it has food in it...any recommenations of toys your buns gnaw on? I will get some willow balls but they get destroyed in a matter of days.

It is a common problem and can be corrected.The vet will file them down for £20.00 or so.
Is he a good hay eater?

Hi,

three of my four buns are dental bun and they need to have theirs burred down every 6-8 weeks - because their used to it now and have it done regularly so the spurs aren't too big they can get it done conscious which at my vets is usually around £20 -£25. If they need GA obviously the price goes up - Blakey recently was £64 when done under GA.
Spurs are bits of tooth that haven't been ground down properly either due to not eating enough fibrous stuff or mis-alignment of the teeth. They can get very sharp and if they're on the inside of the tooth they can cut into the tongue and if they're on the outside of the tooth they can rub on the inside of the cheek and cause sores. I'd check with your vet whether they think the teeth are mis-aligned in your bun's jaw - if they are you're likely to have to have the burring done regulary though feeding lots of hay and fibrous stuff it can cut down on the frequency.
Willow balls and wood chews are great but the main thing is lots of hay. The only problem I find with mine is that because they sometimes find it sore to eat the hay becuase of the spurs then they don't eat it which leads to a Catch 22.

ETA - just read the other updates - seems my vets are a bargain :) and to think I was looking to change them :oops:

Thanks for your replies :)

hooooow muuuuccchhh?! :lol: good job we love our bunnies :)

I think with Harley it is just because I have been feeding too much of his pellets and veg...he has always been a good hay eater so I dunno why I fed too much of the other stuff really. I have cut this down now and he appears to be eating even more hay so fingers crossed it wont come to having to have dental work.

Just got to encourage Pebbles to eat more hay :)

Back