• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Lucy not eating .. u/d she has bloat .. perked up!

Stephy

Alpha Buck
...... I've not had personal experience of this before, except after surgery. Yesterday Lucy ate her food, although perhaps with not as much enthusiasm as usual. Today she hasn't eaten or drunk anything at all. I've syringe fed her today and I'm rather worried, she won't be tempted by any kind of food, and she's also just sitting around. Have checked her over, her teeth seem fine (she's a good hay eater normally) and her bottom, etc. all looks ok. Her tummy isn't bloated or gurgling, she's up to date with vacs. What could it be? Will take her to vet first thing if no improvement :(

Send my lovely Lucy some get well vibes, she's such a perky little girl normally. Thanks.

Last edited:
If she is still not eating then I'd contact your Vet tonight.
Tomorrow morning may be too late :cry:

Has she poo'd today ?

I'm no expert but I would probably go to the vets tonight too. Star had this recently and a trip to the vet sorted it out and nipped it in the bud.

Vibes for Lucy.

:cry: Not good. She has been given a gut stimulant by the vet, is taking bio-lapis and has also had Infacol, as advised by the vet. Have taken day off to nurse the poor little girl ... she is very poorly. Vet said there is often no apparent reason for the onset of bloat .... it's happened so quickly :cry: She is very quiet, and her tummy is gurgling loudly - she has the gas in her stomach which apparently is worse than it being in the gut ...?

Please can I have lots of vibes for my Lucy. Thanks. :cry:

:cry: Not good. She has been given a gut stimulant by the vet, is taking bio-lapis and has also had Infacol, as advised by the vet. Have taken day off to nurse the poor little girl ... she is very poorly. Vet said there is often no apparent reason for the onset of bloat .... it's happened so quickly :cry: She is very quiet, and her tummy is gurgling loudly - she has the gas in her stomach which apparently is worse than it being in the gut ...?

Please can I have lots of vibes for my Lucy. Thanks. :cry:

:cry:

Buscopan has been a life saver in cases of Bloat I have seen. Has your Vet considered using this ?

Has she had pain relief and some subcutaneous fluids ?

Hi - no that wasn't mentioned, what is it? I asked about pain relief but the vet said it would counteract the effect of the stimulant (metroclopramide) ..?

Hi - no that wasn't mentioned, what is it? I asked about pain relief but the vet said it would counteract the effect of the stimulant (metroclopramide) ..?

I am sorry but it is outrageous that a Rabbit with bloat has been left with no analgesia :shock:

Did the Vet take an abdominal Xray. Bloat (of the stomach) is often indicative of an obstruction and Metoclopromide is contraindicated in cases of GI obstruction.

Personally I would be seeking a second opinion, without delay, from a Vet familiar with Rabbit medicine.

Were any fluids given ?

Er.... you need a new vet and fast! :shock:

I agree she needs pain relief immediately and sub-cut fluids would also be extremely helpful is she has not eaten for a while now. They dehydrate so much more than a lot of people realise, including some vets!
Good luck, hope she feels better soon x

Hi - back off to vets to get some pain relief for Lucy (Metacam injected apparently). She said this wouldn't interfere with the gut stimulant whereas other types of pain relief might ........ so why the hell didn't she give her this in the first place?!!! My poor baby :cry:

ask them for some to bring home my vet did exactly this and when i got both in her system myself plus the infacol i saw a diff in matter of a day or two be persistent with the vets to let you have some meds to bring home good luck xx

Went back to vet - gave her injection of Metacam and sub-cutaneous fluids. Just given her Infacol again and more bio-lapis and she couldn't get enough - couldn't even get it into her before I went! And now she's cleaning herself ..... can the pain relief have worked that quickly?! Tentatively crossing fingers - thanks for advice x (also have Metacam to give her tomorrow).

Went back to vet - gave her injection of Metacam and sub-cutaneous fluids. Just given her Infacol again and more bio-lapis and she couldn't get enough - couldn't even get it into her before I went! And now she's cleaning herself ..... can the pain relief have worked that quickly?! Tentatively crossing fingers - thanks for advice x (also have Metacam to give her tomorrow).

Yes

I can't understand why they didn't offer it before - that will definitely be the first thing I insist on if this happens again. I know she's not out of the woods yet but there is a definite improvement - she just had a drink by herself out of a bowl ...... now awaiting bunny poos :?

I can't understand why they didn't offer it before - that will definitely be the first thing I insist on if this happens again. I know she's not out of the woods yet but there is a definite improvement - she just had a drink by herself out of a bowl ...... now awaiting bunny poos :?

I hope that she will improve now her pain is under control :)

Back