• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Damson (kidney bun) Ill :Bad VHD reaction U/D post 52 home AGAIN!

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Poor Damson (who had his kidney out a month ago) was past fit to have his overdue VHD jab this week. 36 hours later he is ill with a fever and muscle pain as a side effect.

He is really very poorly looking - he has been to the vets as an emergency - the vet who took his kidney out came in specially - and is home on bup, metacam and fluids.

She has seen this before - but usually with cylap never lapinjet.

I just WISH I had never said he was to have it - but we have all our buns done and everyone thought he would have no problems.

Please send him lots and lots of vibes - he looks so miserable and does not want to eat or move. we are really hoping and praying the temperature etc will just go in 24-36 hours - like the side effects of a flu jab.

Last edited:
Sending lots of vibes for Damson.

We have made the difficult decision not to vaccinate our very elderly or sick bunnies any more after having a few problems. Our vet always advises us to vaccinate but I think they feel they have an obligation to advise us to vaccinate..... :?

ETA Just wanted to add that in no way was my post meant as a criticism, I hope it wasn't read that way.

I just wanted to share our experiences and thoughts with you incase it helped. Deciding whether or not to vaccinate is a very difficult decision and there is probably no right or wrong answer. I just wanted to let you know that we had decided against it, so if you do choose that path in future you know there are others who have done the same. If you are anything like us and do decide against it in future, you will feel incredibly guilty for not doing it, while at the same hoping you have made the right decision in the bunnies best interests.

Hope that makes some sense, my head is not thinking straight right now :(

Last edited:
Poor Damson (who had his kidney out a month ago) was past fit to have his overdue VHD jab this week. 36 hours later he is ill with a fever and muscle pain as a side effect.

He is really very poorly looking - he has been to the vets as an emergency - the vet who took his kidney out came in specially - and is home on bup, metacam and fluids.

She has seen this before - but usually with cylap never lapinjet.

I just WISH I had never said he was to have it - but we have all our buns done and everyone thought he would have no problems.

Please send him lots and lots of vibes - he looks so miserable and does not want to eat or move. we are really hoping and praying the temperature etc will just go in 24-36 hours - like the side effects of a flu jab.

I am sorry Twigs :cry:

Mega vibes for Damson xx

I'm so sorry to hear that. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, of course, and you were doing what you thought was best. I hope Damson is better soon. xx

We made the decision to vaccinate because he was so well!!

he was like a new bun - or rather - like his old self before the kidney problems.

If he had looked at all ill or anything we would not have done it -

he still looks so poorly at the moment despite the fluids and metacam and buronorphine - though Bup always makes him look very very very sleepy and ill anyway -

I am going to give more fluids in a short while - but then there is nothing else we can d until more metacam at midnight.:(

We are giving him some fluid by mouth as well just to keep his mouth tasting ok for him - and keep his interest up.

He won't eat at all despite me collecting ALL his favourite things:(:(

I am really frightened about this . . .

Sending lots of vibes for Damson.

We have made the difficult decision not to vaccinate our very elderly or sick bunnies any more after having a few problems. Our vet always advises us to vaccinate but I think they feel they have an obligation to advise us to vaccinate..... :?

ETA Just wanted to add that in no way was my post meant as a criticism, I hope it wasn't read that way.

I just wanted to share our experiences and thoughts with you incase it helped. Deciding whether or not to vaccinate is a very difficult decision and there is probably no right or wrong answer. I just wanted to let you know that we had decided against it, so if you do choose that path in future you know there are others who have done the same. If you are anything like us and do decide against it in future, you will feel incredibly guilty for not doing it, while at the same hoping you have made the right decision in the bunnies best interests.

Hope that makes some sense, my head is not thinking straight right now :(

Thats OK . . it was our decision - although based on talking to the vet who felt that there was no risk as it should not effect anything to do with the kidney.

We have had other occasions when our vets have said it is up to us whether we vaccinate or not - our very elderly sweet pea for example.

Trouble is the Damson goes outside all the time and is around lots of other buns that go outside so he would have been exposed to risk.

We made the decision to vaccinate because he was so well!!

he was like a new bun - or rather - like his old self before the kidney problems.

If he had looked at all ill or anything we would not have done it -

he still looks so poorly at the moment despite the fluids and metacam and buronorphine - though Bup always makes him look very very very sleepy and ill anyway -

I am going to give more fluids in a short while - but then there is nothing else we can d until more metacam at midnight.:(

We are giving him some fluid by mouth as well just to keep his mouth tasting ok for him - and keep his interest up.

He won't eat at all despite me collecting ALL his favourite things:(:(

I am really frightened about this . . .

I am sure you must be :cry:

I really hope that Damson can recover xx

Sorry to hear about Damson :cry:

Bup can make them SO sleepy, with my bun he's impossible to do anything with, certainly can't get him eating on it for a good 4-5 hours, he lies staring into space floppy across my lap until it starts to wear off. I'm hopeful it is partly the drugs making him look and feel so awful. Vibes for you brave bunny :) x

Hope Damson recovers well. It was a really hard decision to make. What if you had not done it and next week he ended up with VHD? You would have beaten yourself up about that as well. You did what you thought was best with the help of advice of people who know what they are doing. No one could ask anymore of you.

Well - its now about 10 hours since Damson had his bup - and the same since he had the metacam and he is still sitting doing nothing except for when we try and pick him up and feed him or give him fluids.:(

He has had two more lots of subcuts and tbh doesn't feel as 'tight' as he did before - but still not eating or anything:(

I can give him some more metacam soon - but it didn't seem to make any difference last time.

Steve has just driven off to get some more fresh willow just in case it can tempt him - but he is sat there with a plate of selected geranium, raspberry leaves, dandelion. flat leafed parsley, oregano etc etc - all freshly picked - and ignoring them.

I don't know what else to do:(

The metacam was injection and I think it was a very low dose . . (0.07ml - he weighs 1.9kilo) but the vet is afraid of harming the other kidney.

We need more vibes

Last edited:
Every possible good wish for Damson from here.
(Come on, special brave boy, hang on in there , it will pass soon.)

I'm sorry to hear there has been no improvement so far, and hoping you have some better news for us this morning. :love:

Damson has been admitted at the vets - his stomach swelled up in the night (which I think is side effect of the bup - it has happened before).

I am very frightened as this is not looking good. He was looking very very poorly when I left him (which I did not like doing - but in this instance was necessary as they will put him on a drip).

i cant believe after beating all the odds with a massive op a jab has made him so poorly, what and awful twist of fate :cry::cry::cry::cry:

i really hope the vets can get him back on track, loads and loads of vibes xxxxx

Damson has been admitted at the vets - his stomach swelled up in the night (which I think is side effect of the bup - it has happened before).

I am very frightened as this is not looking good. He was looking very very poorly when I left him (which I did not like doing - but in this instance was necessary as they will put him on a drip).

Oh no, I was hoping for better news this morning :cry:

thinking of you all xx

Back