• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is 19 gauge wire mesh enough?

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Hi all

I am planning to building two 6.5ft(w)x8.ft(L)x6ft(H) aviarys for my 2 pairs of buns in my garden. I am trying to shop around for wire mesh and there are some bargains to be had on Ebay for 19 gauge welded wire mesh on rolls but not the same for 16 gauge.

I live on the edge of the country and have never seen a fox (not saying they don't exist here) so I think they tend to stick to the fields where the wild bunnies are. As long as the mesh is strong enough a deterrent I think it should be ok but I though I would ask the experts.

Also is 1"x1" mesh ok do you think? Would bunnies chew through 19gauge welded mesh?

Thanks

Shiv

19 should be okay (although quality differs in the same gauge mesh, so be careful).

I personally wouldn't use 1"x1" because a cat or fox could fit their leg through to grab the rabbits, so ideally use 1/2"x1/2" or at most 1"x1/2"

Back