• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Noah - u/d p58 he's home & his abscess has been fully removed!!

Bunnyaddict

Wise Old Thumper
Noah's left hand side of his face has swollen - I found it late last night & he has a lump that appears to be near to the front of his jaw :(

He had a lump taken off last August which was on the same side, but further down towards his dewlap. It turned out not to be an abcess thankfully, but some sort of gristly lump that appeared & his face wasn't swollen like it this morning :?

However, this lump feels different & is closer to his jaw line :( He's still eating fine thankfully.

We'll be at the vets as soon as we can tomorrow with him. In the meantime I just wondered if anyone could give me some advice as to what to expect etc if it is a jaw abcess, as we've never had a bun with one?

I'm worried sick if it is, because of Noah's age (he's 7 1/2) & because he doesn't tolerate being given meds at all. He's a very much a cuddle bun, but when it comes to being handled for meds etc, he gets so stressed :(

Any advice anyone has got would be very much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Tinkerbell had a jaw abscess appear very quickly and became very large. The vet was guarded about her prognosis but we decided to proceed with the operation to remove it.

Most of it was removed though not all of it as it was quite deep in the jaw. The wound was packed with antibiotic balls and she made a very good recovery.

Noah's left hand side of his face has swollen - I found it late last night & he has a lump that appears to be near to the front of his jaw :(

He had a lump taken off last August which was on the same side, but further down towards his dewlap. It turned out not to be an abcess thankfully, but some sort of gristly lump that appeared & his face wasn't swollen like it this morning :?

However, this lump feels different & is closer to his jaw line :( He's still eating fine thankfully.

We'll be at the vets as soon as we can tomorrow with him. In the meantime I just wondered if anyone could give me some advice as to what to expect etc if it is a jaw abcess, as we've never had a bun with one?

I'm worried sick if it is, because of Noah's age (he's 7 1/2) & because he doesn't tolerate being given meds at all. He's a very much a cuddle bun, but when it comes to being handled for meds etc, he gets so stressed :(

Any advice anyone has got would be very much appreciated :)

Amy has a lot of expertise with jaw abcesses. Good luck! xx

Poor Noah. I hope he gets well soon.

With regards to the meds, Robert's been being a little :censored: with his oral antibiotics lately. He tolerates his eye cleaning routine, but the syringe in the mouth has been a struggle as he'd had a break from orals and was on topical. Anyway, my other half sits on the stairs with him cuddling, and I sit behind and very sneakily shove it in before he's realised. He doesn't have time to get stressed this way and he's fine after.

Thank you lily for letting me know about Tinkerbell & her thread - I'll have a read of it now :)

Thanks Laura, I did think of Amy - I'll pm her later for some advice :)

Thanks for the vibes Davina, we really appreciate them :)

Thanks for the tip about meds Gertie :) In the past I've given Noah meds in his food, as he's a single bun - but it's the thought of any cleaning etc of an abcess wound that really, really worries me :( Noah would completely freak! :( Lots of snuggles for Robert :)

I just really hope we can sort this for Noah. Mark tells me I need to stop worrying until we know what's what, but that's easier said than done :? Noah is such a special boy, I can't bear for him to be poorly :(

Thank you lily for letting me know about Tinkerbell & her thread - I'll have a read of it now :)

Thanks Laura, I did think of Amy - I'll pm her later for some advice :)

Thanks for the vibes Davina, we really appreciate them :)

Thanks for the tip about meds Gertie :) In the past I've given Noah meds in his food, as he's a single bun - but it's the thought of any cleaning etc of an abcess wound that really, really worries me :( Noah would completely freak! :( Lots of snuggles for Robert :)

I just really hope we can sort this for Noah. Mark tells me I need to stop worrying until we know what's what, but that's easier said than done :? Noah is such a special boy, I can't bear for him to be poorly :(

We didn't have to clean Tinkerbell's abscess wound at all, the antibiotic balls that were sewn into the wound kept it clean and stopped it getting infected in any way.

Poor Mr Noah :cry:

There are several approaches to managing jaw abscesses if that is what it is. Alot will depend on the extent of the infection-just soft tissue, or soft tissue and boney involvement (osteomyelitis). Getting a culture from the abscess wall would help identify the most appropriate abx for your Vet to prescribe. Sometimes a combo of a Penicillin (Injections only) alongside Metronidazole can help contain the infection. Surgical excision is usually preferable,aswell as skull radiographs to assess the tooth roots, jawbone etc. But of course this may not always be possible if the individual Rabbit is a particularly high risk for a GA. So sometimes just opening the abscess and debriding as much as possible is all that can be achieved. The cavity can then be packed with Manuka Honey. Daily cleaning and repacking of the cavity would then be required along with longterm systemic abx and analgesia.

This link may be useful

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/abscess_management.PDF

Thank you Jane & Sooz for the links - I will have a good read in a while, so I'm prepared for tomorrow.

Looking at the medirabbit link Jane - the pic where the wound is being cleaned with a cotton bud just makes me pray we don't have to face anything like this with Noah :cry: There is no way on this earth that he would tolerate it & I fear the stress of cleaning a wound like that would be too much for him :cry:

We didn't have to clean Tinkerbell's abscess wound at all, the antibiotic balls that were sewn into the wound kept it clean and stopped it getting infected in any way.

Thanks lily - I hope this is the option that will help Noah if he does have to have surgery.

Thanks for your vibes guys, we really do appreciate them :)

Awwww, not Noah. :(:(

I have no useful advice, but just wanted to add my vibes and I'll be hoping it's either something less serious or very easily treatable.:(

Thank you Poly & Becky :)

I'm feeling a little calmer now than I was earlier - I've had a read of all the info / links everyone has sent me & also pm'd Amy - so feel as prepared as I can be for tomorrow.

Will just see what tomorrow brings & take it from there for our special little man :)

Back