PDA

View Full Version : Noah - u/d p58 he's home & his abscess has been fully removed!!

Bunnyaddict
16-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Noah's left hand side of his face has swollen - I found it late last night & he has a lump that appears to be near to the front of his jaw :(

He had a lump taken off last August which was on the same side, but further down towards his dewlap. It turned out not to be an abcess thankfully, but some sort of gristly lump that appeared & his face wasn't swollen like it this morning :?

However, this lump feels different & is closer to his jaw line :( He's still eating fine thankfully.

We'll be at the vets as soon as we can tomorrow with him. In the meantime I just wondered if anyone could give me some advice as to what to expect etc if it is a jaw abcess, as we've never had a bun with one?

I'm worried sick if it is, because of Noah's age (he's 7 1/2) & because he doesn't tolerate being given meds at all. He's a very much a cuddle bun, but when it comes to being handled for meds etc, he gets so stressed :(

Any advice anyone has got would be very much appreciated :)

*lily*
16-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Tinkerbell had a jaw abscess appear very quickly and became very large. The vet was guarded about her prognosis but we decided to proceed with the operation to remove it.

Most of it was removed though not all of it as it was quite deep in the jaw. The wound was packed with antibiotic balls and she made a very good recovery.

*lily*
16-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Just done a search and here's the link to her thread:-

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=132520

Lspacehopper
16-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Noah's left hand side of his face has swollen - I found it late last night & he has a lump that appears to be near to the front of his jaw :(

He had a lump taken off last August which was on the same side, but further down towards his dewlap. It turned out not to be an abcess thankfully, but some sort of gristly lump that appeared & his face wasn't swollen like it this morning :?

However, this lump feels different & is closer to his jaw line :( He's still eating fine thankfully.

We'll be at the vets as soon as we can tomorrow with him. In the meantime I just wondered if anyone could give me some advice as to what to expect etc if it is a jaw abcess, as we've never had a bun with one?

I'm worried sick if it is, because of Noah's age (he's 7 1/2) & because he doesn't tolerate being given meds at all. He's a very much a cuddle bun, but when it comes to being handled for meds etc, he gets so stressed :(

Any advice anyone has got would be very much appreciated :)

Amy has a lot of expertise with jaw abcesses. Good luck! xx

biscuitblossom
16-05-2010, 10:28 AM
I've never dealt with a jaw abcess ,so no advice I'm afraid ,but sending lots of vibes for Noah.x

Gertie
16-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Poor Noah. I hope he gets well soon.

With regards to the meds, Robert's been being a little :censored: with his oral antibiotics lately. He tolerates his eye cleaning routine, but the syringe in the mouth has been a struggle as he'd had a break from orals and was on topical. Anyway, my other half sits on the stairs with him cuddling, and I sit behind and very sneakily shove it in before he's realised. He doesn't have time to get stressed this way and he's fine after.

Bunnyaddict
16-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Thank you lily for letting me know about Tinkerbell & her thread - I'll have a read of it now :)

Thanks Laura, I did think of Amy - I'll pm her later for some advice :)

Thanks for the vibes Davina, we really appreciate them :)

Thanks for the tip about meds Gertie :) In the past I've given Noah meds in his food, as he's a single bun - but it's the thought of any cleaning etc of an abcess wound that really, really worries me :( Noah would completely freak! :( Lots of snuggles for Robert :)

I just really hope we can sort this for Noah. Mark tells me I need to stop worrying until we know what's what, but that's easier said than done :? Noah is such a special boy, I can't bear for him to be poorly :(

*lily*
16-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Thank you lily for letting me know about Tinkerbell & her thread - I'll have a read of it now :)

Thanks Laura, I did think of Amy - I'll pm her later for some advice :)

Thanks for the vibes Davina, we really appreciate them :)

Thanks for the tip about meds Gertie :) In the past I've given Noah meds in his food, as he's a single bun - but it's the thought of any cleaning etc of an abcess wound that really, really worries me :( Noah would completely freak! :( Lots of snuggles for Robert :)

I just really hope we can sort this for Noah. Mark tells me I need to stop worrying until we know what's what, but that's easier said than done :? Noah is such a special boy, I can't bear for him to be poorly :(

We didn't have to clean Tinkerbell's abscess wound at all, the antibiotic balls that were sewn into the wound kept it clean and stopped it getting infected in any way.

Jack's-Jane
16-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Poor Mr Noah :cry:

There are several approaches to managing jaw abscesses if that is what it is. Alot will depend on the extent of the infection-just soft tissue, or soft tissue and boney involvement (osteomyelitis). Getting a culture from the abscess wall would help identify the most appropriate abx for your Vet to prescribe. Sometimes a combo of a Penicillin (Injections only) alongside Metronidazole can help contain the infection. Surgical excision is usually preferable,aswell as skull radiographs to assess the tooth roots, jawbone etc. But of course this may not always be possible if the individual Rabbit is a particularly high risk for a GA. So sometimes just opening the abscess and debriding as much as possible is all that can be achieved. The cavity can then be packed with Manuka Honey. Daily cleaning and repacking of the cavity would then be required along with longterm systemic abx and analgesia.

This link may be useful

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/abscess_management.PDF

Bunny Buddy
16-05-2010, 11:40 AM
No technical advice but sending loads of vibes for your very special Noah :love:

Sooz
16-05-2010, 12:27 PM
This is probably the most informative of Mackenzie's threads with regards to his abcess treatment regime: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=167868&highlight=mack+abcess

Bunnyaddict
16-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Thank you Jane & Sooz for the links - I will have a good read in a while, so I'm prepared for tomorrow.

Looking at the medirabbit link Jane - the pic where the wound is being cleaned with a cotton bud just makes me pray we don't have to face anything like this with Noah :cry: There is no way on this earth that he would tolerate it & I fear the stress of cleaning a wound like that would be too much for him :cry:

We didn't have to clean Tinkerbell's abscess wound at all, the antibiotic balls that were sewn into the wound kept it clean and stopped it getting infected in any way.

Thanks lily - I hope this is the option that will help Noah if he does have to have surgery.

Thanks for your vibes guys, we really do appreciate them :)

Hunnybunny2007
16-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Poor Noah, sending lots of vibes for him. You and Mark are really going through it at the moment:cry:

Bunnyaddict
16-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Poor Noah, sending lots of vibes for him. You and Mark are really going through it at the moment:cry:

Thanks Sue, I know what with Thomas our old cat & now Noah - I really could cry :cry::cry::cry:

KarenM
16-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Awwww, not Noah. :(:(

I have no useful advice, but just wanted to add my vibes and I'll be hoping it's either something less serious or very easily treatable.:(

Suzanne
16-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Aww poor Noah. I hope it's not as bad as you think. I'll be thinking about you both tomo.

Bunnyaddict
16-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Thank you Karen & Suzanne - fingers crossed we can sort our old fella :love:

Will let you all know what happens.

antigone
16-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Sending lots of vibes for Noah xxx

Becky86
16-05-2010, 06:13 PM
No advice but just wanted to send some vibes for your special man :love: xXx

Bunnyaddict
16-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Thank you Poly & Becky :)

I'm feeling a little calmer now than I was earlier - I've had a read of all the info / links everyone has sent me & also pm'd Amy - so feel as prepared as I can be for tomorrow.

Will just see what tomorrow brings & take it from there for our special little man :)

*lily*
16-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Good Luck for tomorrow!

antigone
16-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Good luck tomorrow xxx

Snowberry
16-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Sorry Denise only just seen this- still not got proper internet sorted out!

Loads of vibes for Noah, he is such a special bunny and I know how much he means to you and Mark.

I will have everything crossed for you tomorrow. xxx

Bunnyaddict
16-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Thank you lily, Poly & Rach - I really apprecite it :)

*lily*
17-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Thinking of you today xx

KarenM
17-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Will be thinking of you today. xx

Jenova
17-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Grimlock had two abscesses in his jaws. He couldn't have the antibiotic ball treatment as they were in his incisor root cavities. We gave him depocillin injections every three days for eight weeks and they cleared up perfectly.

If you want any advice just PM me.

kayj
17-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Have we any news yet, I have dreaded looking:(.

Bunnyaddict
17-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi guys sorry only just managed to come to update about Noah - thank you everyone for thinking about our special boy :)

We've been to see Jane tonight & as I thought - it is almost likely an abscess attached to his lower jaw on his left hand side :cry: Noah has to go in tomorrow for it to be removed & xrays taken if necessary to determine how bad the abscess is & if his roots are damaged :cry:

Jane seems to think it might be caused by his bottom incisor roots because of where it is - so thank you Jenova, you've given me hope knowing how your little man Grim coped & recovered :)

I am dreading tomorrow tbh, but know it has to be done as it has swollen even more overnight & he is obviously in pain with it :cry: He has to be ok, I just can't bear the thought of him not being :cry:

Any spares vibes anyone can spare our special lad would be very much appreciated :)

Here's the special lad himself enjoying his freshly picked tea on Saturday that his grandad picked him :love:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll49/DeniseDevoto/DSCF4883.jpg

Jack's-Jane
17-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Bless him I am sending loads of vibes for a successful op tomorrow xx

*lily*
17-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Wishing you both all the best for tomorrow.

Hunnybunny2007
17-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Come on Noah you have to be a big brave boy and get better for your mummy and daddy. we are sending you lots of vibes for tomorrow and Digby says you have to take the medicine even if it's not nice because it makes you feel better and you get lots of treats afterwards xx

Denise I'll be thinking of you all tomorrow, you know where I am if you need me x

Bunnyaddict
17-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks Jane, lily & Sue :) I'll update as soon as can tomorrow after he's home - it's going to be a long, anxious day at work tomorrow :(

antigone
17-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Sending lots of vibes for your bunny-cat xxxx
Come on Noah, please get well for your mummy and your cat-mates xxx

Debster
17-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Good luck for tomorrow, hope Noah recovers well xx

Boudicca
17-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Sending huge (((VIBES))) for gorgeous Noah! Come on big boy give us all something to cheer about on RU! Everything crossed for tomorrow!!

donnamt
17-05-2010, 10:06 PM
really hope tomorrow goes well, loads of vibes for your little man xxxxxx

Bunnyaddict
17-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Thank you everyone :) I really do appreciate your thoughts & vibes xx

Nicola1
17-05-2010, 10:14 PM
sending loads of vibes for him xx

Princessrabbit
17-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Lots and lots of vibes for him x

Sparkle x
17-05-2010, 10:35 PM
sending lots and lots and lots of vibes for the gorgeous Noah xxxxxxxxx

Becky86
17-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Sending lots of vibes for Noah tomorrow :love: I hope all goes well xXx

kayj
17-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Awwww Denise, I have everything crossed for you and Noah, one of my giants had a couple of jaw abcesses removed a few weeks ago and he was fine:D.
Thinking of you
xxxx

*lily*
18-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Thinking of you today and fingers crossed that the operation goes well xx

Bunnyaddict
18-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Thank you everyone - Noah has been laid in bed with me for the last hour just snuggling & grooming me :love: I didn't want to get up, because I knew that I'd be preparing to take in to the vets :cry:

I feel sick at the thought of taking Noah in & just pray the op goes well & is a success.

I'll update as soon as I can later.

biscuitblossom
18-05-2010, 07:37 AM
I've only just seen this update Denise......sending all the vibes I can muster for your special boy.xx

Jack's-Jane
18-05-2010, 07:46 AM
I'll be thinking of Noah today, I hope he will soon be back home and doing well xx

Bunny Buddy
18-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Sending loads of vibes for you special puddy-bun.

Bunnyaddict
18-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Thank you Davina, Jane & Alison - Noah is just wandering round the garden before we set off in about 10 minutes.

I'm always nervous when any of our buns are going to the vets, but feel so anxious about Noah - I don't know how I'm going to concentrate at work today :cry:

Suzanne
18-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Thank you Davina, Jane & Alison - Noah is just wandering round the garden before we set off in about 10 minutes.

I'm always nervous when any of our buns are going to the vets, but feel so anxious about Noah - I don't know how I'm going to concentrate at work today :cry:

Hope it all goes well today.

kayj
18-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Thinking of you and Noah and sending loads of vibes.

While at work when you start to think about Noah just picture the mental picture I told you about yesterday at least it will cheer you up a little bit;):lol::lol:

Phill
18-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Sending loads of vibes xx

KateB
18-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Sending vibes for Noah

KarenM
18-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Sending lots more vibes for a very special little bun. :love::love::love:

kayj
18-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I have just had atxt of Denise to say Noah as had all the capsules removed and a dental (YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY). She doesn't know the cause yet but will find out later when she goes and collects him.

jenzel5
18-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Sending lots and lots of get well soon vibes. Glad to hear little Noah is doing ok. :love:

Boudicca
18-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Thats good news, thats what we want to hear!!! :D

Bunnyaddict
18-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Thank you so much everyone for your vibes & kind thoughts - I can't tell you how much we appreciate them :)

Well we're home & bless him, Noah looks so sorry for himself :( They fully removed the abscess capsule & have done a dental at the same time, as he'd one or two molars.

However, they don't think it's his teeth thankfully - but more like a tiny puncture wound that's turned into an abscess :? I took Noah in a few weeks ago as he became sore under his chin & was scratching - they think it's probably happend because of this. He had abx for a few days & we kept putting dermasol on it which cleared it up. We've put it down to some hay or a tiny thorn from the hay working it's way under his skin that for some reason has resulted in an abscess all of a sudden near his jaw :?

They decided not to do an xray as they didn't think even though he needed his teeth slightly burring that the roots were the problem. They didn't want to do an xray for the sake of it. They've said obviously if it comes back & needs removing again, then they will xray him but because of where it was & that the abscess came out whole & showed no signs of tracking, they are hopeful it won't.

They even saved it for us to see :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: That was nice to see just before tea!! :lol::lol::lol:

Noah is very sleepy & obviously needs to get over his GA & I know there's a chance it might come back - but I can't tell you how relieved we are so far! :)

He's currently sleeping in a pen & he'll stay there tonight & tomorrow until he feels a little better. It'll be strange not having him on the bed with us tonight but it's for his own good.

Thanks again for thinking about our special lad :)

Bunny Buddy
18-05-2010, 05:48 PM
:D:D Fantastic news.

:D:D

Jack's-Jane
18-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Phew I can breathe again now !!
I was going a nice shade of purple :shock:

I am SO PLEASED that Noah has come through the op' and by the sounds of it the abscess has been fully removed :D

Bunnyaddict
18-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Thank you Jane & Alison :D

I have to say I don't want Noah to be back at the vets in a hurry. My nerves can't cope :(

The funny thing is though when I rang at 12.30pm to check how he was, the vet nurse mis-heard it was me & said they'd already tried to ring me on my mobile as they needed my consent to remove a witheld testicle!!! :shock::shock::shock:

I asked if she's got the right bun & she yes you brought him in for castration!!!!! :shock:

I said no I didn't - you should be looking at the other end of him & if he's got a witheld testicle - he's grown a 3rd, as the other 2 were removed 18 months ago!!! :shock:

Turns out she'd got the wrong Mrs D & they had removed his abscess etc!!! :lol::lol::lol: At least it made me laugh after the stress! :lol::lol::lol:

Debster
18-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Great news, really pleased for you and Noah :D

Becky86
18-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Brilliant news!! I hope Noah has a smooth recovery now :love::love: xxx

KarenM
18-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Wonderful news. :love: Pmsl about the withheld testicle story. :lol::lol::lol:

Bunnyaddict
18-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys :)

Wonderful news. :love: Pmsl about the withheld testicle story. :lol::lol::lol:

I have to say Karen I couldn't stop laughing!!! It was so funny because we were completely at crossed purposes :lol::lol::lol:

I started to think how on earth could a jaw abscess result in a witheld testicle?!?!?! :shock::lol:

bunny babe
18-05-2010, 06:56 PM
So pleased the op went well. Sending vibes for a full recovery.

Hugo's There
18-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Thats brilliant news, so pleased they don't think the teeth are involved :) That must be such a relief

kayj
18-05-2010, 07:23 PM
I am so pleased for you and Noah. He as obviously been hiding a testicle in his jaw from you;):lol::lol::lol:

Give him big snuggles from mexxxx

bunnymadhouse
18-05-2010, 07:32 PM
so glad hes home and ok :D

antigone
18-05-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm glad he's back home with you. :D
(I'm also glad that he hasn't grown a 3rd testicle. :shock::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:)

Bunnyaddict
18-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Thank you everyone - I am very relieved but now really want to see him back to his normal self, snuggled up with the cats :) He's not eaten anything yet - but I know it's early & he was the last to be operated on today, so hopefully he'll be feeling like eating soon.

I am so pleased for you and Noah. He as obviously been hiding a testicle in his jaw from you;):lol::lol::lol:

Give him big snuggles from mexxxx

I'll pass on your snuggles Kay :)

Do you think the saying 'I've got another head growing' when you've got a massive spot brewing is the same as 'I've got another testicle growing in my jaw' for a rabbit? :shock: :lol::lol::lol:

hurricanhoney
18-05-2010, 09:27 PM
So glad he is home.

Suzanne
18-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Aww Denise so glad he's on the mend. :D

Kermit
18-05-2010, 10:34 PM
This is a fab update.
Hope the wee man continues to get better xx

KarenM
18-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Do you think the saying 'I've got another head growing' when you've got a massive spot brewing is the same as 'I've got another testicle growing in my jaw' for a rabbit? :shock: :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I hope he gets his appetite back very soon and wish him a comfortable night ..... I'm guessing he gets to pick the best spot on your bed? :lol::lol:

biscuitblossom
18-05-2010, 10:55 PM
So pleased the op went well Denise.....hopefully Noah will start eating soon,he must be sore bless him.x

kayj
18-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Thank you everyone - I am very relieved but now really want to see him back to his normal self, snuggled up with the cats :) He's not eaten anything yet - but I know it's early & he was the last to be operated on today, so hopefully he'll be feeling like eating soon.

I'll pass on your snuggles Kay :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: quite possibly

biscuitblossom
19-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Hows he doing today Denise?

Bunnyaddict
19-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Thank you for thinking about our special lad guys :)

Hows he doing today Denise?

He's doing fine thank you Davina :) Happier now since I've let him out of his pen :roll::lol: He's eating ok & his wound is ok - we're back for a check up tomorrow :)

We kept in confined to a pen overnight & until I came in from work this afternoon, just make sure he was ok after the GA. It was very strange him not sleeping on the bed last night :(

antigone
19-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm so glad he's eating! :D
Where is he sleeping tonight?

Bunnyaddict
19-05-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm so glad he's eating! :D
Where is he sleeping tonight?

Thanks Poly :) On the bed with us & the cats tonight as normal ;) :lol: :love:

I am sooooooooooo relieved he's doing ok - was awful last night in bed without him :(

*lily*
19-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Awww glad he is making a good recovery and that it doesn't seem to be tooth related :D

Sparkle x
19-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Pleased he is okay xxxx :wave: