• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Tall is your run??

bobbedazzler

Warren Scout
:wave:

Just wondering how tall your runs are??

OH and I are building a new hutch and run for the buns. Originally we were going to make the run the same height as the first floor ceiling of the hutch which would make it 2ft 6 .... but for binkying/jumping/playing etc purposses I'd like to make it higher ...... not 6ft high or anything but a bit higher than 2ft 6.

So thought I'd get some good ideas on here as to how high we should make it by asking you about yours.

I would recommend 3ft. It's high enough for most buns to jump about, please you have the advantage that most mesh comes 3ft wide, so building the side panels requires less mesh cutting!

Ours is 2ft which is enough for our girls as they're tiny but we're getting a French lop soon so we're probably going to make it a 3 or 3.5 ft. May leave it as is though as they'll have a shed as well and that will be tall enough for him.

It should be tall enough for them to stand on their hind legs without hitting their ears on the top I think.

The aviery attached to the shed is full height - about 6.5ft I think. The new run is 4ft high. I could have gone with 3ft as the buns are small, but I didn't want to feel too claustrophobic when I was in there with them!

The higher the better really for a run as you have to think about the practicalities of sitting in there and cleaning it out. However, you also need to be able to get in it somehow whether it be jumping over the top and possibly needing a stool on each side or having a door for access.

The higher the better really for a run as you have to think about the practicalities of sitting in there and cleaning it out. However, you also need to be able to get in it somehow whether it be jumping over the top and possibly needing a stool on each side or having a door for access.

I've cleaned out my run, I just move it and either let the dogs hoover the poos up, or let them decompose! :lol:

My Nethies have a run that's 3' high,and they can stretch almost to the top.

My problem is that being short it's quite hard to get my leg over to climb in if I need to :roll:

Thanks everyone, think I'll do it 3ft high.

The run will be 8ft x 5ft (and 3ft tall) and attached to the hutch ....... OH has kindly said he'll also make an extension that I can clip on that will more than double that space again but there'll be no roof on that bit so they can use it when I'm home to supervise and have loads of room to play.

Once the garden is fully bunny-proofed though they can free-range totally when I'm home.

Our garden is paved but we've decided to take up some of the paving stones in the run and plant a mixture of grasses in there. I was also thinking of putting a couple of trays in, one with soil and one with sand for them to dig.

Are they ok with any type of sand? (we have loads of builders sand, just wondered if that would be ok).

Also, those of you who provide digging trays, how deep are they?

Back