• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anybody have guinea-pigs.... cause I have some space

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
...... in my hall...... and I was just thinking....... there's a rescue near me...... and eh.......... well I might just get a couple.

Memory serves me they smell more than rabbits, is that right? What do they need? How much space, exercise?? I know they can't live with the rabbits - I would imagine them living in my hall, or can they live outside all year round in a little wendy house??

I do not find them to smell more than rabbits, they just smell different.

They need space to exercise but also need lots of places to hide.

Idealy, in winter, they would either be indoors or in a well insulated out building (shed, unused garage etc).

They need a diet rich in Vitamin C.

They must have company of their own kind (either a neutered male with 1 or more females / a pair of males / a pair or group of females)

Guinea pigs are wonderful. I absolutely adore ours! The make me smile every single day! :love:

Same here, they just smell different. OH hates the smell of the piggies but I love it :love:

I think because they are more difficult to litter train they will smell if they dont get cleaned out but then the same is true of rabbits, OH's mum whinged on saying our house would smell when we got rabbits :roll: didnt have a thing to say when she actually met and smelled them...

I was going to get my boars neutered but on the guinea pig forum they advised me against it, not sure if other people have had theirs done but it doesnt affect their behaviour like it does rabbits

Same here, they just smell different. OH hates the smell of the piggies but I love it :love:

I think because they are more difficult to litter train they will smell if they dont get cleaned out but then the same is true of rabbits, OH's mum whinged on saying our house would smell when we got rabbits :roll: didnt have a thing to say when she actually met and smelled them...

I was going to get my boars neutered but on the guinea pig forum they advised me against it, not sure if other people have had theirs done but it doesnt affect their behaviour like it does rabbits

Do you have boars living together?

www.assisi-ni.org

There are two lovely boars at my local sanctuary (see above website if you like). I have a metal dog crate but it's just over a metre long by about a half metre wide. I could convert it and make it two tier. Maybe that's not big enough but they could have the hall and kitchen when I'm at home.

www.assisi-ni.org

There are two lovely boars at my local sanctuary (see above website if you like). I have a metal dog crate but it's just over a metre long by about a half metre wide. I could convert it and make it two tier. Maybe that's not big enough but they could have the hall and kitchen when I'm at home.

Some of my piggies can squeeze through the bars of a dog crate.

What about a NIC cube set up?

I wouldn't bother if they get along ok.

I have 2 pairs of boars and will not be getting them done as they get on great.

The only problem I have with one of my un-neutered boars sometimes (the older one) is impaction.

that was what I was worried about, which was why I wanted them neutered. I've heard if they dont get enough exercise they're more prone to impaction, is that right? Because they were living in a tiny cage when I got them, Ive got a hamster in it now! They lived together for a year before I got them, and they do sometimes hump and have a little scrabble but never anything serious.

Sorry Bensonlola! But yes, if exercise affects impaction make sure you have a run for them! :wave: they like lots of hidey holes as well. they can jump a tiny bit but not enough to be able to get out of a pen.

that was what I was worried about, which was why I wanted them neutered. I've heard if they dont get enough exercise they're more prone to impaction, is that right? Because they were living in a tiny cage when I got them, Ive got a hamster in it now! They lived together for a year before I got them, and they do sometimes hump and have a little scrabble but never anything serious.

Sorry Bensonlola! But yes, if exercise affects impaction make sure you have a run for them! :wave: they like lots of hidey holes as well. they can jump a tiny bit but not enough to be able to get out of a pen.

I am not sure about exercise and impaction. Our pair has an 8ft by 5ft run. He only gets it occasionally and is 6 years old. I do know that un-neutered males are more prone.

So how much time per day do you spend on them? And how much ££ do you spend per week roughly? Say for 2 piggies. I don't begrudge spending money on my animals but, there's a recession on!!!!! Wouldn't want to have to stop spoiling Benson and Lola (they've become accustomed to a certain kind of lifestyle don't you know!!)

And I wonder could the piggies ever concivebably exercise outside along with the rabbits? Or would the rabbits attack them?

So how much time per day do you spend on them? And how much ££ do you spend per week roughly? Say for 2 piggies. I don't begrudge spending money on my animals but, there's a recession on!!!!! Wouldn't want to have to stop spoiling Benson and Lola (they've become accustomed to a certain kind of lifestyle don't you know!!)

Well we have 24 piggies so it would be difficult for me to answer the ££ question.

They are cheaper than rabbits in the fact that they don't need vaccinations but mine get fed more veg than my bunnies so that costs a fair bit. They need lots of hay like buns.

I do find them to be very delicate. When they get poorly, they often require A LOT of nursing to see them right (in my experience). They are prone to respiratory infections too due to their chests being close to the ground.

I tend to find mine are quite low maintainence compared to the buns (although I might favouritise the buns a smidge :oops:) but they prefer the cheaper meadow hay to timothy, and most of the veg and cage cleaning supplies I have from the buns anyway. The one thing I've spent most on is vet bills - probably spent at least £200-£300 on my four girls and I've only had them about a month, they had a URI then they got mites :( and I'm 99% sure you can't insure them. They are a lot more open to cuddles than bunnies though so you might find you spend quite a bit of time with them :)

I do find them to be very delicate. When they get poorly, they often require A LOT of nursing to see them right (in my experience). They are prone to respiratory infections too due to their chests being close to the ground.

I'd definately agree with this point. Unfortunately, a sick guinea pig is very hard to get right again. They tend to be very good at hiding symptoms until they are very poorly. :( My black and white one showed no symptoms of his enlarged heart until the morning we had to rush him to the vet and it was too late. :cry:
I give my remaining guy loads of vit C veg, he especially loves his tomatoes and carrots. I find him generally less stressful a pet, he never freaks me out with not eating - he's an eating machine! :lol:

I'd definately agree with this point. Unfortunately, a sick guinea pig is very hard to get right again. They tend to be very good at hiding symptoms until they are very poorly. :( My black and white one showed no symptoms of his enlarged heart until the morning we had to rush him to the vet and it was too late. :cry:
I give my remaining guy loads of vit C veg, he especially loves his tomatoes and carrots. I find him generally less stressful a pet, he never freaks me out with not eating - he's an eating machine! :lol:

We have lost 3 to pneumonia even after days of hourly nursing - they even seemed to get better :(

They are certainly eating machines I agree! :lol:

We have lost 3 to pneumonia even after days of hourly nursing - they even seemed to get better :(

They are certainly eating machines I agree! :lol:

I read online somewhere that as prey animals they are so good at hiding they are sick. Unfortunately, that's bad news for us who love them. :cry:

Back