• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So I got my copy of Rabbiting on.....

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
..... as if I wasnt stressed out enough - page 9 - bunny butts should be checked AT LEAST, AT LEAST twice daily!!!!

I cant!!! I cant!! I caaaaaaannnnnnn't!!!!!! They get sooooo stressed when I lift/catch them, they would live life in permanent dread of their twice daily butt checking ordeal!!!

Lola is so smart it only takes you to do a thing once for her to catch on what you are about to do next time! I opened the cupboard door once, she hopped in, I lifted her with ease out of the confined space, checked butt. Next day, would she go into the cupboard?? Not on your nelly!!! I used a cat box - worked once, cornered her on top of her box in corner of kitchen - worked once, after that she saw me coming and hopped off it just in case!!

I've said before - Benson turns into a bar of soap when you try to restrict him. He'll sit on your knee as long as you don't hold him. Stroking is fine, holding is not allowed.

The vet said that if I keep the hutch clean and they don't have mucky bums then they shouldn't get fly strike. Does anyone else have the same problem? Or do you all have model rabbits that let you do anything you like to them?? :shock:

Maybe you should just concentrate on preventative measures like keeping their hutch clean and applying Rearguard to their bums, which I think does last 6 or something weeks at a time. Plus if your bunny is on a good diet and doesn't suffer from the runs or anything and are able to clean themselves fine they're probably not at as much risk.

Helenx

I wait until my boys are stretched out sunbathing, then I can look up their furry little bums, check they're clean etc. And I check the tops of their tails when I stroke them - I've made it so I stroke all the way down to the tail and have a little feel that all is well while I'm doing it. They don't mind that.

As long as you can check their bums are clean (and you can usually see easily of they're not, or even smell if they're dirty with a sticky poop) then you should be less at risk.

Oh thanks guys. I feel better now. I can smell their butts :)roll::shock::oops:) when they're eating and they are happy for me to stroke them so I can easily check the tops of their tails. I never find any special poops lying around and I see Lola eating hers all the time! I can even have a feel down there the odd time if I catch them unawares!!

On the spray stuff - does it do any harm to bunnies when they groom each other?

Oh thanks guys. I feel better now. I can smell their butts :)roll::shock::oops:) when they're eating and they are happy for me to stroke them so I can easily check the tops of their tails. I never find any special poops lying around and I see Lola eating hers all the time! I can even have a feel down there the odd time if I catch them unawares!!

I've got some, 'cos Clover used to get a sticky bum (but after joining here their diet's been adjusted and apart from the odd excess cecotraph thing poop his bum's fine now!) - anyway, I used the spray once, and a few days later Clo had to go to the vets with stasis. It may have been co-incidence, but I worried that it was because I'd used the spray and he'd groomed himself :(, so I haven't used it since.

Well it is designed for rabbits so I wouldn't think it would do any harm.

Helen xx

I check my bunnie's bottom at least once a day, sometimes twice. They do get used to it. Mine do anyway. They probably won't like it, but mine do not wiggle or anything.

I gently tip them onto their back and check their bum and genitals area. I have to lightly blow on their tummies to check that there isn't anything there either. Whole process takes about 10 secs maximum. I suppose it would be different if you had a very fluffy rabbit.

I don't use rearguard, but if you have a particularly stressed rabbit or one which is prone to having a sticky bottom, they I would use Rear Guard. If the fur underneath is getting matted with poo then trimming it a little can help too.

I check my bunnie's bottom at least once a day, sometimes twice. They do get used to it. Mine do anyway. They probably won't like it, but mine do not wiggle or anything.

Oh mine wriggle!! They wriggle, kick, scramble, try to climb up my shoulder, try to stick their heads under my arm to get away and when I've finished and set them down they stamp their feet at me, kick their back legs and go just far enough away to give me a dirty look. Then they come back to see if there's any food on the go!! I think I need a professional bunny catcher/butt checker to call twice a day! Anyone want to apply?

I do all mine twice daily as it isn't just for fly strike it can show up other things like when Merlin had cystitis. I usually do it just before treat time so they think it is a good thing. I also mint, lavendar, rosemary plants and do the citronella as the others had said previously.

Mine get over so indignant when I check bums - I do tend to go by poops as my buns will kick off big time if I fiddle with them!

I wait until my boys are stretched out sunbathing, then I can look up their furry little bums, check they're clean etc. And I check the tops of their tails when I stroke them - I've made it so I stroke all the way down to the tail and have a little feel that all is well while I'm doing it. They don't mind that.

As long as you can check their bums are clean (and you can usually see easily of they're not, or even smell if they're dirty with a sticky poop) then you should be less at risk.

i do the sam ebut sometime i just run my hand under his tail a have a feel plus the sunbathing check as harry just hates being held full stop unless food is in the mix

im not sure what to do with my new bunny :? i dont want to stress her out by picking her up and tipping her back :? sebastian will let me but mae will just about let me stroke her

To check their bottom I put my hand underneath their front paws and lift them up then rest their back against my knee and lean them back only slightly. They stay still for this but it only takes a second.

Back