• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Easy question, I don't know the answer!

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
Do your buns make chewing movements when they drink?
If not, is their drinking noisy, like a gulp as if it's difficult to swallow?
(I'm trying to understand a long standing issue with my own bun)

Some of my Buns make the most awful slurping/gulping noise when they drink !!

Some sort of 'chomp' too and others tilt their head to one side and drink (from a bowl) from the side of their mouth :?

Alfie's tummy gurgles so loud when he drinks and he slurps from his bowl too. The boy just has no table manners:lol:

Alfie's tummy gurgles so loud when he drinks and he slurps from his bowl too. The boy just has no table manners:lol:

Harley's tummy gurgles and she slurps too.....always wondered if there was something wrong :?

And put it down to her jaw abcess :cry:

Scamp does both the things youve mentioned, but im not sure if its normal as obviously hes been very poorly :? That chomping thing when he drinks really does worry me, same as the like, stretching his head like a giraffee when hes swallowing. Maybe Scamp is just a weird bun though :?

None of my others do it, Ronnie slurps/gulps, Lola is very lady like and drinks very silently :lol: xx

not sure about when drinking but afterwards i see the chewing, like they are swirling the water around the mouth or something.

not heard slurping yet

Like donna I've seen them 'chewing' as if they are trying to lick their lips a bit, then after they lick their lips. Does that make sense?

This is really interesting, & most helpful. Thank you.

Some of you may know that Thumper won't drink anything like enough.
The 1st. thing I noticed about him was that he gulped when he swallowed water, but not solids. He went 3 1/2 years getting all his fluids from fresh foods (& recycling some of his wee :oops:)

As our buns are direct descendants from European wild buns, & our wild buns can get enough fluid from their feed & dew, I wasn't unduely worried as long as he didn't have chalky wee. I also wondered whether they weren't "designed" to drink water & had to learn how to do so, or had poor co ordination unless they chewed to start off the swallowing reflex. [I'd like to know what you think of my theory]

18 months ago Thumper was admitted for ileus, & met other bunnies on the ward. He also had his 1st. dental. The 1st. thing he did back home was to drink silently but he'd started to chew his water!!
I know he's brewing up to a dental, cos he stops chewing his water & gulps again - in fact he stops drinking altogether!!!! This is a disaster for a stasis prone bun!!!!

Because he has a rare problem with nerves to his gut, I wondered whether his difficulty swallowing might be partly due to a poor nerve supply to his oesophagus.
I'm very relieved that obviously it's not the nerve disease because many other buns are exactly the same. :D:D:D:D

I've had to top up his fluids recently by syringe. SS pellets mushed in water are preferable to critical care which he hates with a vengeance. Being a bright boy, he got the message today & drank fairly well.

Please feel free to chat away on this thread, you folk always teach me something.

When Pudding has a drink I have to turn the tv up!! she slurps/gulps/squeaky burps and makes a right meal out of it!! Pye on the other hand is completely silent...

When Pudding has a drink I have to turn the tv up!! she slurps/gulps/squeaky burps and makes a right meal out of it!! Pye on the other hand is completely silent...

:lol::lol: that really made me laugh!! Mine all chomp their veg really loud haven't noticed it so much with pellets. And they all have noisy water bottles! but they dont seem to slurp themselves.

I wonder if there isn't a bit of residual instinct in wild buns to drink if they have the opportunity too? Some communities may have more access to water than others? But I can see how on a diet purely of greens and dew there would likely be sufficient water.... not sure about dry summers though? Have often wondered if the buns that learn to drink from a bottle are using a residual instinct that a wild bun may have in licking from a nibbled juicy stem? Or perhaps our buns are just highly adaptable to their environment and use their 'learned response' behaviour pattern that many animals have to adapt to the situation they find themselves in?

If it helps, Poppy laps her water when she drinks using her tongue like a cat and makes splish splash sounds. Nino is silent and puts his whole face in the bowl and sort of 'sucks' it all up! :roll::lol: His tummy squeaks and gurgles and he comes up with a soaking wet chin.
I find this thread interesting as so many buns are very different in the way they drink... makes me think they really are learning as they go in their own way. :)

Nino is silent and puts his whole face in the bowl and sort of 'sucks' it all up! :roll::lol: His tummy squeaks and gurgles and he comes up with a soaking wet chin.

This is Mischa. I always get a sloppy kiss if he's just been drinking. :roll: :lol:

Dinky makes very loud noises when he drinks, slurping and gurgling, also a weird suction type noise in his belly! I hear him in the other room

Aww Princess has a water bottle and she ALWAYS bites the end, throws it about a bit, THEN drinks, then you can just hear the ball thing, but she doesn't make any noise.

She's very quiet when she eats anything.

My mini lop (Beaumont) makes a squeaky squelch sound when he drinks from his bowl that sounds like it's coming from his gums/cheeks. i came on here to check whether that was normal or not but I now feel comforted that rabbits are just little furry weirdos.

If it helps, Poppy laps her water when she drinks using her tongue like a cat and makes splish splash sounds. Nino is silent and puts his whole face in the bowl and sort of 'sucks' it all up! :roll::lol: His tummy squeaks and gurgles and he comes up with a soaking wet chin.
I find this thread interesting as so many buns are very different in the way they drink... makes me think they really are learning as they go in their own way. :)

This is Truffle and Fudge exactly! Truffle is very elegant and laps small amounts from the edge of the bowl. Fudge always seems to stick her head right out to the middle and slurp it up, so her chin gets all wet!
Fudge also doesn't seem to know how to drink from a bottle. Truffle will do it sometimes, but from watching her it almost seems as though she does it because she likes the noise it makes, rather than for the water.

My mini lop (Beaumont) makes a squeaky squelch sound when he drinks from his bowl that sounds like it's coming from his gums/cheeks. i came on here to check whether that was normal or not but I now feel comforted that rabbits are just little furry weirdos.

:lol: Yup!!

Oh Elena. I didn't even recognise this as one of my own threads.:lol:
I've had a lovely time enjoying the replies, & remembering the lovely people who don't post any more as well as their buns.
I'm wondering about what happened to Jennifina's Pye? I think that's the right Pye who had pancreatitis.

My new bun Benjie manages to drink plenty & silently. :lol:

Back