• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tooth Purring/Grinding

Tooth purring is the bunnies response to something nice eg. being stroked, It may be a quiet grinding of the teeth or chattering teeth.
When in pain some buns make the same grinding sound, but nothing nice is happening to them. It's louder, & they are usually lying differently from usual - perhaps hunched up lifting the tummy off the ground on their back feet, (tummy pain) or protecting a dislocated /painful joint.

My boy has to be different! & if he's asked to be stroked & got in position, he does 3 loud grinds to get my attention, "Oi it's time for a nice cuddle".

So there's no other audible difference then? Just body language. Mischa does it when he sleeps but his nose twitches as well and I can't work out if it's pain or he's having a really nice dream. :lol:

It's something I've wondered about for aaaaaaages.

Oh I reckon he's having a fantastic dream, & really enjoying it. I feel quite envious!!
ETA I can't imagine he'd be in anything like enough pain to tooth grind without waking up. Thumps sometimes makes little noises & chatters his teeth when asleep. I wondered what he was dreaming of, - how silly can you get? A few days later, when he woke from his dream, he immediately rushed to his toy rabbit AND :oops::oops::oops:
Oh that's what bucks dream about! I might have known.

Last edited:
Radish does little toothy purrs when she is getting all snuggly on her chair. It's the same noise she makes when I stroke her and I always assumed it was a tooth purr rather than grinding as she is all snuggly and laid out. I would think it would be body language which defines whether it's purring or grinding.

When Joejoe used to make his little happy noise when i got in from work (he doesn't do it any more now he's got Jess hmphh :roll:) it was like a two-tone sort of noise like an eek-eek noise, it didn't even sound like teeth it was more like a from the throat sound, whereas when he was in pain with an abscess it was like a more teeth chattering and definite grinding noise, not nice at all to hear there was no mistaking the two really, also when he did the in pain tooth grinding he would raise his chin right up while he did it and also shake :cry:

Back