• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to tell if female has been Spayed...

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
Other than opening her up under GA, is there any way of telling if a female bunny has been spayed?

Would a urine test give any answers?

One of our females, Luna, is falling out with every bunny she meets :cry: She had been fine over autumn and winter but now that Spring has hit, she has gone crazy. She is really aggressive and attacked her room mate so badly that she had to be stitched up :cry:

She also smells very hormonal when in 'attack mode'.

One vet recently thought he could feel a spay scar on her abdomen but, obviously, this isn't conclusive.

Luna is about 5-6 years old.

I thought I read once that some vets tattoo the area? Could they shave her tum and see if there's a scar?

an xray maybe? im sure it would be quite obvious to a vet if there was no womb??? altho i thought an enlarged heart would be obvious too :evil::evil::evil:

It's really difficult to conclusively decide unfortunately. Apparent spay scars, lack of dewlap, no obvious seasons and a negative ultrasound would suggest she had been spayed but none of these are foolproof. Rabbit uteruses can be really teeny and difficult to detect, especially when gas in the intestines blocks the ultrasound.
There is a possibility of a hormone panel - it is used in horses to test whether sex hormones are produced in response to a hormone injection - but I haven't come across it being used in rabbits.
I would be tempted to get a definite answer by surgical exploration if she's otherwise healthy - it's no more invasive than a spay would be, gives you a definite answer and she can be spayed at the time if she hasn't already been.

Back