• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do about matting?

Peppapunk

Young Bun
I have a bunny with a very matted bum (I got him today), what can I do about this? It looks beyond brushing. I was thinking trimming it right down, and then keeping on top of his grooming.. But I don't want to hurt him by accidental nicking etc.. Thanks :) xxx :wave:

if i was you i would ring your vets and ask if a nurse or the vet could do it as i had a friend who got a cat in the simular situ and ended up with a big vet bill. :?
my vets has a nurse service for this kind of thing and dont charge for it! i would ring them and see what they say. but the bun will need doing. :)

I find the best way to get matts out is to gently tease them into smaller matts with my fingers then tease them apart again and keep doing this until they come out. This way I am pulling them gently sideways rather than directly out and the bunnies don't mind it.

I will give them a ring in a moment :) I just feel so bad for the poor boy carrying all that extra fur! Can't imagine how itchy he must feel under all that xx

Okay, just spoke to a receptionist and they charge anything up to £20.. I think If I'm very careful I could probably do it myself but it would take a while :)

Best advice I can give you is Dont wet it, it makes it worse and a lot harder to get out. We have loads of matted buns come to stay here and the easiest way as someone else has said is to break it done into smaller matts with your fingers and you'll probably find alot of will come away in chunks too. Once it is almost out i then use a fine very flea comb to tease the rest apart. Good Luck

Thanks :)! I have done the best I can now, I did cut the worst out and gently teased it. Now what is left is soft and brushable but I will have another go in a few days.xx

Back