• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fay's Throat

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Following on from this thread...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=224756

Where Fay had pulled her fur out in her dewlap has all grown back but there is still a bald patch right on her throat under her chin area. It is bare to the skin. It probably looks worse than it is because it looks in such a vulnerable area.

The thing is its right in in the innermost bit of her throat/chin so its not an area where she can actually get her teeth to pull her fur out....so whats happening?

Any thoughts??

Thanks for your quick reply. Sorry for the dumb questions but what causes mange, what is it, and how is it treated?

I don't know too much, as far as I know they're like fleas? mites? or something. The vet just gave Princess a tube of frontline and her fur grew back within 2 wks.

She did go to the vet when it first started going bald and he couldnt find any evidence of mites. Her fur and skin is very healthy looking - no scurf or flakes or anything.

Could take her back to vets but dont want to stress her out if I can help it.

Is Fay a dental bun at all? Fur loss commonly happens with scald... either from urine, or saliva, or from a bun that has been recently syringe fed and dribble a lot out and the fur stayed damp. This happened to Poppy once - either side of her neck where she dribbled syringe food and fluids for a few days - all the fur fell out.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. x

No she isnt a dental bun, although I have been wondering lately if there is something dental going on, but I havent got any real evidence as to why I think that - just my instincts really. I did notice she had the teeniest tiniest wet patch in the corner of her eye, which would make me think teeth but it is so small....her appetite is normal and in herself she seems normal - apart from that other thread I wrote about her poo being a bit funny...maybe it is something dental then?.

No she isnt a dental bun, although I have been wondering lately if there is something dental going on, but I havent got any real evidence as to why I think that - just my instincts really. I did notice she had the teeniest tiniest wet patch in the corner of her eye, which would make me think teeth but it is so small....her appetite is normal and in herself she seems normal - apart from that other thread I wrote about her poo being a bit funny...maybe it is something dental then?.

I would get the Vet to check for Dental problems :)

Took Fay to the vets today - there is a distinct bald patch right in the innermost bit of her throat (ie not her dewlap) but we couldnt find any reason whatsoever for it.

Vet wondered if perhaps she has been putting her head in somewhere that would have rubbed it - but there isnt - all I can think of is her food bowl and water bowl rim. Maybe we should try and put her food on the floor instead of in a bowl - she does seem to shove her nose in to all the corners to make sure she has hoovered everything up :lol: and is very food orientated :?

Anyway vet didnt think it was anything to be worried about. I feel like a right hypochondriac the amount of times we go up there and its "nothing"!! :oops:

No, it's always better to be safe than sorry and vets appreciate vigilant owners and i'm sure they'd rather say all was ok and not to worry than to have to say it was something serious that you missed and should have brought her in about... you'd feel awful then, so I think it was very sensible to go down. :)

If it's any help Nino freqently has quite a bare nose on the very tip of his nose....i'm sure he rubs the fine fur off sticking his nose into everything - like Fay very food orientated. His fur is white and very thin over his nose so sometimes he looks like he has a pink nose! :roll: Glad all is ok with Fay. :)

Back