• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Toto update again sorry lol

pinkyblare

Alpha Buck
Firstly i want to thank you all for this week and your replies and advice,i have followed many people's advice off here and the pets forum and i believe the last 5-6 days have been worst of my life nursing my sick baby bun but today he turned a corner he is hopping round house, doing dry nugget poo as i describe them lol and his eating eating and eating he has had lots cuddles from his sibling and me and my mum and the care and attention and vets help and yours i think we have got him over the worst and i can see my old Toto back this eve i believe it was GI Stasis although vets never said what was wrong, i am so relieved and happy he is on the mend just a quick question do i continue with meds (painkiller and gut stimulant) for few days make sure or take him off he not done the little black slimey poos yet but guess the other poo (dry ones) is a good sign?? he is drinking by himself now yeah go Toto!
:wave::love::D

You need to ask the Vet about whether or not to continue the medication, we cannot advise you about that.

I am glad Toto is feeling better :)

As Jane said we can not advise you on whether you should continue the meds or not you will need to ask your vet what they recommend.
When Jimby has statis they tend to continue the meds until he is eating by himself as there is such a thing as overstimulation of the gut if used when not needed.
But I urge you to seek the advise of your vet as they will be able to advise you what to do in Toto's case.

Hi Im sooo glad Toto is feeling better, I was wondering how ur little man is, sounds like hes doing really well :D
Definatly call the vets re. continuation of meds. Make sure he gets loooooads of hay and drinks lots and I wouldnt give him anything else (except a few pellets a day) for a few weeks just to make sure his gut is truly back in shape.
The dry poos are a great sign, thats exactly what you want to be seeing. The wetter poos u describe are caled caecotrophs and the buns eat these and recycle the nutrients within them. So the fact that you're not seeing any is infact a great sign and perfectly healthy :thumb: Too many uneaten caecotrophs can indicate a problem.
xxx

Back