• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Breed? So confused...

BooMoo

Warren Scout
I have Maisy and Ben, Both lops. We always assumed they were 'dwarf lops' however I am now so confused.
There are lots of different books and websites that contradict each other over american breeds and english ones. Like a Holland Lop (american) is a mini Lop for us in england. And i've read that apparently a holland lop is also known as a netherland dwarf lop which I believe to be wrong?
An american website says these max and min weights:
Holland Lop None 4 lbs.
Netherland Dwarf None 2-1/2 lbs.
Mini Lop 4-1/2 lbs. 6-1/2 lbs.
But what do we call these?

Maisy weighs 2.49Kg (which is a little overweight said the vet)
Ben weighs 1.89Kg (he's about 5 months old)

What breed do you think they are? Thankyou

Maisy
100_1366.jpg

Ben
100_1370.jpg

i would say they are dwarf lops, dwarf lops arent actuelly small. Its mini lops that are small :) x

what america calls there holland lop, we call the mini lop, in america there mini lop breed is alot larger, which is how people get confused

the dwarf lop here is not a dwarf as such, but compared to a french lop it is smaller, the smallest of our lop breed is the mini lop, followed by the dwarf lop
a netherland dwarf if the smallest of breeds alongside the more slender polish

fro the weights you say your bunnies are, i would say dwarf lop too

:wave: Yer they don't seem overly small but I was shocked at their weights for being dwarf lops. I thought they would weigh more :)

If Daisy is a dwarf lop she's not overweight, and in the photos she certainly isn't. They're not mini/holland lops, the noses are far too pointy, the ears are too long and the buns are generally too big. xx

where did you get your buns from originally they may not be bred to the exact standard of what the BRC has written down, as pet shop buns tend to be different anyway

whatever they areyour buns are gorgeus :love:

where did you get your buns from originally they may not be bred to the exact standard of what the BRC has written down, as pet shop buns tend to be different anyway

whatever they areyour buns are gorgeus :love:

Thank you :) and yer they were just form p@h admittedly. I don't expect them to be a 'full' breed. I just thought they would weigh more than they do :?

Back