• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This bun was vet checked

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
on Monday..was mxyi vacs..no advice given..none on diet.grooming anything

look at state of it

bum.jpg

He was covered in huge matts, poos stuck all round..the lump by his tail is a matt..must of been there weeks and weeks
His feet were dreadfully matted:(

also has mites

bummites.jpg

here's some of the matts I removed

bumfur.jpg

I am contacting vet to complain

:shock::shock: Thank god he found his way to you Jill.. even someone who knows nothing about bunnies would know:roll:

As a rescue, I expect that Honeybunnies not only give vets a lot of business but can recommend vets to local adopters.

Not a good customer for vets to let down.:(

Just to clear up any misunderstanding
this bun has not come into the rescue for rehoming
We have taken him in to help sort him out, and two of the Honeybunnies Team, myself and Jen, have spent a lot of time with his owner giving advice on housing exercise and diet
His owner is not cruel..just mis/un informed
Her previous experience with a "rescue" was going to adopt a doe to go with her neutered boy..getting home and trying to introduce them..only for them to fight and the "doe" turn out to be an un neutered buck ..not a baby either 2 years old.:censored:
.the fact she has now come to ask another rescue for help with her bun is good as she could, after that experience..just gone back to the pet shop that have been selling her cheap mix and rabbit treats
The vet who saw this rabbit was not ours..in fact not in my area of Leicester at all
I have already lodged a complaint and the practice manager will be speaking to me on Monday

The good news is the bun is now much more comfortable..and hopefully his owner is now much more up to date on rabbit care..we will be keeping in touch with her:D
The part of rescue that is often not thought about..is the advice side..I, and I'm sure most people on this forum involved in rescue, spend a lot of time on the phone and/ or visiting people to help out with queries ,problem bunnies and with bunnies, ect

Last edited:
Getting this bunny right will be easier than I thought
For a bun fed on mix , honey sticks and yogurt drops..he sure likes pellets:D
So he is on a mix of two different types of pellet ( small amounts) fresh grass, herbs and veg..and lots of hay
Hope his weight drops a bit from 3.5 kg..watch this space!

Getting this bunny right will be easier than I thought
For a bun fed on mix , honey sticks and yogurt drops..he sure likes pellets:D
So he is on a mix of two different types of pellet ( small amounts) fresh grass, herbs and veg..and lots of hay
Hope his weight drops a bit from 3.5 kg..watch this space!

Well done Jill, you'll soon have him sorted ;):)

Surely it is the owners fault the rabbit as got in a mess, and now she as come to you for advice and help she can start to care for the rabbit properly. I agree the vet should have advised her but unfortunately all vets aren't the same and thought it was easy money to just do a vaccs and send her on her way.

yes Kay if course the owner is at fault, but as said before not through being cruel on purpose just being very un educated in rabbit needs
The "rescue" she visited before does not neuter, vacs or homecheck..keeps rabbits with gps and feeds mix..they also breed form the rescue rabbits so always "have babies available" and as seen from my other post cannot even sex a full grown well endowed rabbit:censored:..so along with the bad advice from there..the pet shop saying cheap mix is fine and how about buying some treats while you're here?..then a vet who clearly did not give any advice despite the owner holding bun on it's back for vet to see front teeth..so mess underneath would have been clearly visable..the owner was just finding her own way
We all hope pet owners will do research but sadly some don't, they just rely on the pet shops, some of which are not good

But this owner is now fully up to date on bunny care..the reason she took bun to be vacs was on Jen's advice..he is booked in for his next vacs too..she has improved her accomodation and has now bought a large and secure run..so life for this bunny will be much better:D

They really need to stop letting pet shops etc sell rabbits cos they don't give no advice and then owners don't take care of them properly through no fault of their own. I think it's good the owners trying to find out how to look after hers.

Back