• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grooming Question

Wizzy Lizzy

Warren Scout
Hi All,

I have looked at some past posts on the subject of overgooming but don't think that the circumstances are the same for my two so thought I would ask the question again!

I have 2 buns (Daisy and Lorenzo, spayed and neutered) and Lorenzo often grooms Daisy - I have never seen Daisy groom Loz.

They are happy lying together and hopping around together - I have never seen them fight even when I was initially bonding them. They do not have any food aggression.

A week ago I noticed that Lorenzo had a bit of fur missing off his back (he is so furry it is hard to see unless you properly part the fur!) The skin was a bit red although it wasn't bleeding. They free range all day in the garden (with access to their double decker 6ft hutch) and they have loads of hay to eat in a variety of places. I put it down to him catching it on something and pulling out a bit of fur but last night I looked again and the area of fur missing is a lot larger (from, say 'pea sized' to '5p sized'!) The bigger 'bald' area isn't red but looks like the fur has been cut.

So now I'm thinking it could be Daisy (it is right on his back so I don't think he could reach it to nibble, although he could reach to scratch the area).

Like I said, I've never seen her groom him but I've also never seen any aggression. Do you have any ideas? And how do you stop it? I really don't want to separate them as they are lovely together. I just don't want Lorenzo getting hurt!

They both had their 6-monthly myxi injection a month or so ago. This bald spot is not in the place where the needle went.

Any advice/thoughts gratefully received! If it would help I can try and take a photo over the weekend!

Thanks

Liz

Not sure, but in the absence of any other answer, it sounds a bit llike fur-pulling. It is amazing how much fur can come out in a little spat that lasts a second or so. If they are still grooming, snuggling etc, I wouldn't worry too much.

Back