• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

caecotrophs?

pinkyblare

Alpha Buck
its me again now my little Toto has been in house whilst poorly for constant care so other bun has been left alone i never knew rabbits ate their caecotrophs and have noticed lots in the hutch should my healthy bun be eating them all how much do they eat should i be concerned that i am seeing more and they are i clumps i do hope my healthy bnny doesnt get ill due to stress of being alone all week and wondering what the hell is going on, i do bring him in to Toto so they dont forget each other and least Flopsy can see where he is but i dont know much about rabbits as you have prob gathered and worry about them both now any advice? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:love:

yes they should be eating them all up, you do very occasionally see the odd one laying about but generally speaking you shouldn't really see them.

I don't know if stress could make them not eat them? I'm sure someone more expert will be along soon, but just from my own experience with my buns they tended to leave them if they had had too many nuggets - have you reduced the amount of nuggets you give your healthy bun? or are you still tipping the same amount for 2 into the bowl? Other reasons can be if they're having too many sweet things (treats/carrots etc) it can seemingly put them off their poops.

Are her normal poops ok? if she's otherwise healthy, happy and eating then i wouldn't worry about it for now, just keep an eye on things.

Yes, stress and depression can definitely do it.

Were Toto and Flopsy bonded and did you break the bond by separating them? How long have they been separate for?

Yes they from same litter came to us together they have been separated for vets and toto being in house but i have made sure that i let flopsy in the indoor pen with toto so they didnt forget each other and thought it may help toto get back to normality, they both sitting cuddling indoors at mo bless you can see them cuddling and kissing and snuggling together, i think i may be putting too much food out then yeah i just fill the bowl and leave it for them to graze guess thats not what i should be doing and i am still in process of swaping them from musli type mix to pellets as they do select their faves i could see that, want get them on burgess excel one if i can but doing it slowly as recommended oh i have so much to learn with bunnies:oops:

oh i am convinced they are a boy and girl which the breeder told me they were both girls but wasnt 100% pos, guess they both need to be done at vets what age do you do this xx

you need to be checking every day for testicles, as soon as they are descended the boy is fertile and can be neutered. You must separate them to prevent babies when this happens! Baby buns are really hard to sex.

I am in complete agreement that stress can cause uneaten caecotrophs.
There are however other commoner things which are easier to remedy.
Sudden changes in diet, - suddenly eating a nornal portion of something they haven't had before or for a while.
A diet too rich in nutrients (too much dried feed or veg) & not enough hay (fiber)

Back